batavus crankshaft seals?

I need to replace the crankshaft seals on my 1977 Batavus Starflite but I'm not sure what size they are/where to find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: batavus crankshaft seals?

there's a section in the wiki called bearing and seal chart that has the ones for the m56 listed.

you'll need to know first which bat engine you have, m56 or m48. i'd then look at the manuals on projectmopedmanual.com and try to find the proper engine part's blowup. the seal size should be listed there

It's the m48...even after looking at manuals I can't find the size of the seal, only part #'s, and it's not in the wiki section either.

Take the old seals out and measure them or take them to a bearing house. They can get you what you need.

Jason T Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Take the old seals out and measure them or take

> them to a bearing house. They can get you what

> you need.

yup, take 'em out. take 'em to bearing/seal supply shop... they will order the right ones for ya.

You are lucky for 2 reasons tonight!! I just happened to have an M48 bottom end taken apart on my bench, AND I came across your thread.

so,

here we go

ID 15mm

OD 30mm

Thickness 7mm

BOOM Your welcome!!!!!

good luck with your BAT

-Aron

hey man

while you*re there.............what are the seal sizes?

haha great! i actually just found the sizes this morning...but apparently the left and right side are different sizes? this is what i found -

Bearing seal- clutch side OEM Seal 816480

OD 42mm ID 21mm W 7mm

bearing seal OEM bearing seal 816181

OD 30mm ID 14mm W 7mm

@Leo those are the seal sizes we're talking about not the bearings.

-Aron

Dincus Dunkus Douglas /

On this point, if I'm rebuilding my m48 should I replace the bearing seals? They look OK to me, but if i'm replacing everything else (bearings, gaskets, etc) should i just do the seals too?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

M48 have a crank seal in the clutch next to the cup bearing/s to.

Dincus Dunkus Douglas /

Right, so 2 bearing seals total right?

fallout Survivor /

www.themopedjunkyard.com will have these specialized parts, prices not the cheapest if you have the information. FYI, there is a batavus manual on www.mopedriders.org web site (tiny repair toggle).

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

NOTE

The head toque is 7 ft lbs not 11ft lbs the manual is wrong.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

BTW there is a c3 type avail. it has a metal end on the lipped seal. for the stator side.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

OD 42mm ID 20mm w 7mm clutch side

man, its funny how i get around. there are no seals that size so at least you didn't get the wrong one

wiki rulez

♣Slew Foot♣ /

yep the wiki does indeed rule, but the batavus m48 holds many weird idiosyncracies, like the 20 mph versions have really thick skirts without grooves, the 25 has the grooves in the skirt and bottom, the 30 has huge grooves in the skirt and bottom end grooves. the 30 also has a decked head and the bore is more like 40.05 mm instead of the 20's 39.895.

someone has got to make a clutch side seal?????????????????????? or something close enough to shim the OD or something?

Dincus Dunkus Douglas /

I just pulled off my bearings and seals. These are the measurements I get:

Bearings:

42mm OD

15mm ID

13mm Width

Seals:

Clutch Side:

42mm OD

20mm ID

7mm Width (the ring in the center gives a little more, maybe ~1mm, but this is difficult to measure with calipers so I assume it's just the width @ the OD)

Magneto Side:

30mm OD

15mm ID

7.25mm Width (I am assuming that means 7mm nominally)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account