420 vs 415 chain for 2011 tomos st and mods

So I just bought a second 2011 Tomos from a motorcycle type off craigslist. He modded it with I think its called a stinger exhaust and larger jets.It got a little sketch when I bought it without riding it because the masterlink on the chain was broken. Later, after totally freaking out that maybe the tranny was burned up with the mods, I but my other tomos chain on this new purchase. No tranny problems. but man this mod is problematic. Yes it goes crazy fast for a moped. at least 35 as measured on the drive slow radar nearby but it sure idles super miserble and seeing to me to be in a perpetual too rich state.I have the original stuff also,pipe and jets which he gave me, and might switch back.

so the chain he gave me is a 420 which as people might know is a shade wider(1/16") than the 415 chain that Tomos comes with. Is this a bad idea to use?

I would welcome any insight on the above mods from people who do this kind of stuff regularly. I really don't want to upset my neighbors with a outrageously loud device. They are entitled to peace and quiet.

Re: 420 vs 415 chain for 2011 tomos st and mods

Probably Fred /

Ya just jetted too rich prolly

Keep the pipe and rejet the carb

Never go back to the stock exhaust it sucks

Order a 415 chain

Marc Friedman /

He changed all three jets. Can you suggest what numbers on each or should I go back to stock?

Marc Friedman /

Looking at pictures it's a biturbo exhaust. He changed out the main, idle and a small rod which I assume is an emulsion tube.

If your exhaust is loud, pop the circlip off the end and see if there is any packing material in there. Replacing that if its missing will make it a little bit quieter.

Marc Friedman /

Please tell me about packing material. What is it made out of, how do you tell if it is correct?

Darrell Gabbard /

steel wool or fiber glass

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account