76 motobecane mobylette questions

lucky charms /

I just picked up my first mobylette and had some questions to anyone who can help.I am not new to peds but I really don't understand how these work.the guy I got it from said it was seized but he didn't know how to engage the moter.lol.my only issue I am having is that on the right side (when you sitting on it) of the moter will not spin?its like it is locked up.The piston and veriator do move and it seems like it would start if not for this. anyone have any clue what might be wrong or what I can check for?This bike is in the best shape I have ever seen a stock 76 and I really want to get it running.thanks in advance

Re: 76 motobecane mobylette questions

Pics bro!!

lucky charms /

Someone else who had it I guess tried to get it off with the wrong tool.I think this is the flywheel magneto?talked to a friend and they said it might just be the bearings.

IMAG1529.jpg

lucky charms /

This is a pic of the whole bike.you can see why I want to get her going so bad.she is a beautiful bike

5N55I35G83K83Ib3Jdc7e2f026911fb3910f3.jpg

???

The right side is the genny, if it will not rotate then there is no way the piston is moving so ????? huh???

That chewed up nut in the picture is the novi nut, a 3/8 ratchet handle used to fit it quite nicely, it is a left hand thread so turn it backward to loosen.

Like he said--also put some PB blast penetrating oil and let it set for a day before trying to remove it--lefty tighty instead of righty tighty and opposite for loosening--sounds seized but, it's not the end of the world --read the wiki and other articles related to Moby's--it sure helps understanding them better--good luck and nice ride!!

lucky charms /

Thank ya sir I really like this bike and its super clean and I have every stock part for it.About the piston it sounds like it is moving.could be wrong.like I said I don't know much about these mobys yet.thanks for the help.I will post again once I try to pull it off

When I got mine someone put the magneto on wrong and it wouldn't move. There are grooves for the magneto to line up with the cam inside. But would need that nut off first.

lucky charms /

Internal nut?I'm gonna have to figure oit something out other than a 3/8 socket wrench because this one is stripped pretty bad.I.think someone tried to twist it the wrong way

Andrew Squiggman /

even turning it the wrong way, to strip novi nut that bad, it must be really hard seized

hes right you should probly just sell it before you get frustrated. ill give you $100

Use a flat blade screwdriver as a drift and give it a few whacks on the periphery of the nut. Just remember it is left thread. Get a replacement nut or cut two flats on the sides of the original for future install/removal. (edited)

If the square hole is stripped then you can dremel in a slot across the center for a large flat-head screwdriver and try that. Or you can use a dremel to square off the exterior of the nut and use channel locks to grip it.

lucky charms /

Great idea.thanks.I'm gonna get it off today I hope.

lucky charms /

No chance I'm selling this one.rims alone are worth that.If she don't run it will sit in my house as art.lol

^She is a stunner for sure! Never seen a yello one in person, look around for the cover for the flywheel once you get her going. Best of luck, that beauty needs to be on the road! I think treats sells replacement novi nuts? www.treatland.tv

If the Novi nut is jammed there too tough you can always very carefully grind off the little bitch and attack the leftovers once the flywheel has been removed. Be very careful of the threads on the crank though because it is M11 left thread and even getting a chaser for the threads is $$$$ (edited)

lucky charms /

I was able to find the novi nut on mopedjunkyard,It was the only place i could find them in stock,I plan on getting the flywheel cover once she is a runner.I have had no time to try but will be working on her tommorow and see if i can get it off,i soaked the nut in some pb blaster to loosen it up before i try again

just take off the head, put some tranny oil in and let it soak for a day. Might free it up a little. Try taking off the cylinder instead of breaking the piston loose with the flywheel. Be extra careful on the flywheel side because the crank threading is reverse and aluminum! Very easy to strip out. Would be cheaper to replace the crank than to buy a tap for those threads.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account