tomos A3 help!!!! trans giving me a headache

Well it started last summer on my girlfriends tomos A3 when she brought it home. The first thing I did was check the trans fluid and it was bone dry, I took the case off to re-do the gasket and for some reason I think I took all the gears and the clutch out. I must have put a shim in the wrong place because the pedals stopped working and the engine would hop out of gear and free rev when it wanted to. I took it apart a few days ago, moved some shims, but idk if i did something with the clutch because now the pedals work, but the engine stalls when the tire stops spinning like the clutch isnt freewheeling when it should be. I looked at the manual in the wiki but it was a bit broad to know if i have the spacers and everything right. If anyone has good information on the trans let me know, its a two speed and its 1976ish. If anyone has any good pictures on how its supposed to go back together that would help to. GIVE ME ALL YA GOT so I can figure it out.

Thanks MA for your help

Re: tomos A3 help!!!! trans giving me a headache

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i will aso impart some wisdom no book would teach. put a big glob of thick grease right in the hourglass shaped hole in the halfs and get the can opener like kick start sprag thingy so it is shmoutched in the grease and will not fall out when you re assemble the engine. its in the pedal blow out # 17

A3transmission.jpg
A3clutches.jpg
A3pedals.jpg

Wow, those pictures are very helpful, I will have to study them carefully and make sure my transmission has all of those parts, Thats good thinking with that grease. The grease won't hurt the trans fluid when added will it?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

naw

Ok I will hopefully be attempting the teardown again in a day or so and I will let you know how it goes!

when you put it back together, make sure the claw collar sits in the case

and make sure the washers/shims are in the right place

Send it to me with all the pieces and I'll put it back together for you. Send the top end/intake too and I'll make sure it runs.

Oh sweetness on that new picture, Thanks for the offer TJ, I will try atleast another time or two before I go the route of having someone else fix it, I get more pride out of doing it myself ya know! Thanks again for all the help and kind offers! I'll be sure to take pictures when I take it apart again and get your input.

This is great I just posted about the same prob. I didn't search the site like I should have first. But yeah post how you make out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account