moped running rich

Michael Bojanowski /

I need to lean out my moped, I have the needle on the 2nd notch, where do I move it to lean it out? Thanks!

Re: moped running rich

Probably Fred /

The needle clip if lowered leans 1/2-3/4 throttle

What is your bike?

Engine 1hp, 1.5hp, 2hp?

Carb size ?

Main jet size?

Atomizer

Gearing

Setup/air filter

Pipe?

Timing?

Christian Giron /

Lowering the needle raises it to expose more area so it allows more airflow - leaner

raising the needle lowers the needle to close up area, so it decrease airflow. -richer

Michael Bojanowski /

I lowered the needle to the 3rd notch down, it was on the 2nd, there are 4 notches, I cleaned the spark plug ran the motor for a few minutes and when I took out the spark plug it was sooty black, not wet, just dry and sooty black, is it still running rich, should I lower it down to the 4th notch? Thanks!

Probably Fred /

Change of the main jet may be needed

If you told me your setup of your bike I could help

Michael Bojanowski /

OK for starters I have a 1978 Pinto,not the base model the middle model with the stainless fenders and chrome gas tank, everything is stock on this moped, I don't know the horse power, is there a way to find out on the bike? It has the stock air filter that I cleaned, stock pipe, I am sure it has the stock jet. Thanks!

Probably Fred /

See that is what is needed the hp# not what fenders it has

1, 1.5 or 2 hp

Each have different jets/carb combos

Michael Bojanowski /

According to another person on the site the Pinto's all came with 2HP motors, if that is true the stock jet would be a 72, what is the best jet to upgrade to 74 76 78 80??? Thanks!

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

Lowering the needle raises it to expose more area so it allows more airflow - leaner

raising the needle lowers the needle to close up area, so it decrease airflow. -richer

^^^^ This is all wrong!!!!!

lowering the clip raises the needle = richer (more fuel) less air

raising the clip lowers the needle = leaner (less fuel) more air

WTF !!!!!

Michael Bojanowski /

OK I raised the clip up to the top notch, ran the bike for a few minutes took out the spark plug and it was sooty black not wet, dry sooty black, would that be considered running rich or lean? Thanks!

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

First lets go over how to read plugs (not plug chops) and how to properly do it.

Put a new correct plug on it before any of this

You cant just run it on the stand or idle it, you have to drive it WOT(full throttle) on a flat or slight grade 1 mile ride minimum (no stops or braking) balls to the wall, then turn it off right away and look at the end of the plug (ceramic insulator) to check the color of it. black/sooty or wet means too rich - white/ grayish means too lean not enough gas/oil - brown/tannish is what your looking for = good burn.

If its four stroking on you, run it right before that point 4 stroking would usually be rich (too much gas/oil) lean it out

lowering the clip raises the needle = richer (more fuel) raising the clip lowers the needle = leaner (less fuel)

If your running this on the stand it will be black almost always, you cannot judge anything with this method

The needle controls mainly 1/4-3/4 throttle. repeat: (you cannot judge this on a stand)

Get back with the results of this run

Do you premix or oil injection? If premix what ratio? Is this all stock?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account