Tranny leaks alot on A35

So my 2001 tomos lx doesnt have the average tomos leak. it is terrible. i have the thing kitted with vm20 carb and 4petal reeds and the whole setup of performance parts. in the spring i rebuilt the entire bottom and top end, replacing all seals and some bearings. i put it back together and it still leaked. so i decided to just live with it and the i started running this race mix for tranny oil which is 350ml of gear oil and 350ml of dextron mercron ATF. This worked great shifting wise but made my leak worse. I have no idea what to do or what could be leaking, all i know is it leaks onto the sprocket then on the chain the from there all over my rim and frame. ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? also i have some pics to show what the leak does.

IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG

Re: Tranny leaks alot on A35

I'm assuming you didn't replace the two needle roller bearings inside the main gear? Did you notice a groove worn in the pedal shaft?

i couldnt figure out how to get the needle bearings out of the main gear to replace them, however i did put a brand new pedal shaft in because mine was slightly bent and i was told that may allow it to leak, still no difference.

It's the cursed tomos black wheel disease. There is no seal between the pedal shaft and the final main gear, so you can try and slow down the leak.... but it will always be there. Some people say putting heavy grease between the shaft and the gear helps, but again, it would only work so long.

i was also thinking about running a heavier tranny oil, maybe it wouldnt seep out as easily as the thin ATF, but then it would shift real sluggish again id assume.

So what you are saying is your tranny leaked before and now it leaks more now that you almost tripled the amount of fluid in there? Weird.............. (edited)

The outer most needle bearing inside the main gear has a rubber seal on one side. This is what is supposed to keep fluid from sneaking out around the pedal shaft.

looks like "the average tomos leak" to me.

I dont remember seeing that seal when i rebuilt the bottom end

Christian Giron /

It's been a while since I filled it with that oil combo, but I do remember since you are OVER flowing the rated transmission amount, mine leaked wayyyy more than normal.

The Tomos part numbers are #035502 "Needle bearing SCE 109P" and #035503 Needle Bearing SCE 108. The "P" suffix in SCE 109P shows that it contains a seal, while SCE 108 is open on both ends.

if i were to replace the needle bearing will that actually stop the leak for a certain amount of time or will it just slow down?

I would imagine that a new pedal shaft combined with the new bearing would stop the leak, at least until you drop the bike bending the pedal shaft, or wear the seal out.

should i also replace the bearing in the case or just the needle bearing?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account