No Spark, Vespa Ciao.

My 81 Piaggio Ciao has got no spark. When I pedal start, all my lights come on, so I assume the wiring is fine.

I know I need to check and clean the points. But what else should I check for?

It last ran about a month ago when I started it up with the idle too way too high and couldn't kill the engine, so cut the fuel and waited til it died.

Does it sound like the points are just burnt out?

Any help would be great, really wanna get riding and enjoy whats left of summer.

Re: No Spark, Vespa Ciao.

Sounds like the points.

Or somethings loose under the flywheel..

♣Slew Foot♣ /

before you drop the engine to get to the points

double check the HT coil wiring. brake sensors and tail bulb and ht itself

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i would check the fuel flow, that racing could have been the line draining w/ more air than fuel resulting in the airleak like conditions

El Chewy /

check the HT coil how? how do I know if its bunked out.

Got all brand new bulbs and they all work good.

Jeremy Calton /

I'm assuming you held the spark plug to the head to check for spark, but you can unscrew the cap that connects the plug to the coil, then hold the end of that exposed wire to the head to see if it gets spark, that will tell you if it's the spark plug.

What does it sound like when you try to start it? It sounds great like it's ready to run but just won't ignite? Is the carb clean?

Unless that screw is loose, I don't think the points should lose their gap like that, just sitting for a month. Of course it never hurts to check and reset them, it's just so damn hard on Vespas.

If it was starting fine and then all of a sudden stopped starting, for me it's always something stupid like I forgot to open the petcock or set the kill switch to Run.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

you can just use a 6v battery and ground the baterry - to the frame and strike the signal in terminal of the ht coil it will spark if good.

make sure none of your bulbs are burned out. make sure all of your grounds are good if you hardwired it (make sure the blue is grounded). if you pull the boot off and check for spark with the bare plug wire ... if there is just a TINY little spark either your points are dirty, gap is incorrect or something came loose under the flywheel. clean your points first, check the gap and then if necessary drop the motor to get the flywheel off.

ideally your spark should be jumping a one inch gap from the plug wire (no boot) to the cylinder head/frame/wherever.

El Chewy /

Yes, I checked for spark with the plug in the boot. I also unscrewed the cap and tried to get spark that way too. Nothing thus far.

It sounds good when it starts. Just not inginiting. Carb is clean. Wires all grounded. kill/run wires actually twisted together right now.

Gonna go hard tomorrow and clean the points, see what happens.

Pull the motor and clean everything under the flywheel with electronics cleaner. Then spray out with compressed air, then proceed to sand in-between the points with some fine grit sand paper. Re-spray it and set point gap correctly. You'll be in business.

Everytime I've has a problem with spark its been points related. Except once on a ride when my condenser managed to loosen up conpletely and ended up dragging on the top of the fw. Lost spark instantly and ended up calling my woman to pick me up.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account