Hobbit polini soft sieze, it's toast right (pics)?

Went on a long ride along a bunch of hills and coasted downhill instead of keeping the throttle open to keep gas and oil flowing in, got on some flat land and it came to a halt, my girlfriend thought I had slammed my brakes it stopped so hard (she was riding next to me). It did start up again and limped home, barely.

Took everything off this afternoon to take a look. Can feel some light scratches on the bottom of the cylinder and there's some burrs bunched up towards the back, the rings are also scratched up (the scratches are on the bottom, I turned the rings in that pic to get better light for the photo). So I'm guessing at this point this cylinder is trashed, just looking for confirmation.

I know it's my own dumbass fault and will definitely be more careful in the future.

cylinderBack.jpg
cylinderFront.jpg
rings.jpg

Re: Hobbit polini soft sieze, it's toast right (pics)?

Maybe... Looks like a lot of blowby on that piston hmm.

Could that be from the ride home after it seized or do you think something else was the cause?

Overpriced Parts /

let me guess you weren't running a head temp gauge

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I'll buy it, $15 plus shipping?

still totally useable. just get new rings and hone the cylinder.

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

Ryan N. Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> still totally useable. just get new rings and

> hone the cylinder.

Just looking at a flex-hone, seems like they jump in size from 45mm to 48mm, I'm assuming a 45mm would be too small and they recommend going a size up if nothing matches exactly but is the 48mm going to be too big?

And should I consider stepping up the piston and ring size if I'm using the larger hone?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

the flex hone will fits multiple sizes. The one I used on my 70cc kit (45mm) is whats recommended for 42-45mm bore. Next size up covers 46-48mm,

Ron Chappell /

Hone it, ring it and ride it.

I'm not sure I would go with a flex-hone though - I believe a standard hone might do a better job in this instance. imo

You are not boring it out, you are just honeing it to remove the rough spots. Use standard rings that came with the kit.

Doesn't look too bad, do like Ron says; ring it and ride it.

Hone and rings are ordered, we'll see how this goes.

Lukas McWhorter /

Hone the bitch out and run it. Thats what I'd do.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account