Help finding shims or bushings?

Jason King /

I have been looking all over for 10mm to 8mm shims for my new shocks and having no luck. Already been to six fastener stores three motorcycle/scooter shops and a bicycle shop plus all of usual internet searching. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Re: Help finding shims or bushings?

Jason King /

Been looking on the interweb all day and nothing.

You'll probably need more info than that. Inner diameter, Outer diameter, and length.

Jason King /

8mm id 10mm od and anything 20mm or longer I can cut down. Thanks.

if it`s just round shims you`re looking for use washers. you say 8x10mm x 20mm long? what thickness and what do you mean by long.

are you wanting bushings to make a 8mm bolt/stud to 10mm dia???? i have a bunch of bushings all different sizes.

Jason King /

Sorry for the confusion. I have seen them call shims/barrel shims/bushings/sleeve bearings depending on the site ur on and thats exactly what I am trying to do is get am 8mm bolt to stay snug in a 10 mm hole. Its for some new shocks on a moby. I would normally just drill out to a bigger size but I am worried the isnt enough meat on the lower mount(swing arm? Sorry stiil a little new).

McMaster-Carr Steel-Backed PTFE-Coated Bronze— 8mm ID 10mm OD

10mm long - http://www.mcmaster.com/#6679K14

15mm long - http://www.mcmaster.com/#6679K15

Jason King /

Thanks a ton! I spent soo much time looking and could only come up with industrial suppliers that sold in hundereds or more. Thanks again!

Brad William /

For anyone else interested in this thread...

http://www.harborfreight.com/315-piece-roll-pin-assortment-67682.html

This is an EXCELLENT box of extras to have around for the types of shimming that Jason is describing. With all the sizes inside there's usually an ID and OD to fit the project. Just cut the length to fit and you're good to go. Largest one in this assortment is 3/8 OD or 9.55mm.

Not to mention that you'll find plenty of places to replace a nut/bolt with a nice tight hammered-in or pressed-in spring pin when you're rebuilding a motorcycle or ped. They're superior in some cases since they never loosen up and never rattle out.

I noticed last week that Menards has set up an isle with some of these china made boxed assortments similar to HF. You might find these at Menards. (edited)

Always good to have some variety of 'consumables' around, in Canada you can look at Princess Auto for similar to Harbor Freight type of stuff in the PVC organizers like bolts, nuts, washers, roll pins, orings, circlips, woodruff keys, etc

Brad William /

Some of the stuff is a miss. The lock washers are usually not worth a damn since a lock washer has to be made out of hard enough steel to keep it's edge/s that bite into the metal. Most of these are shit, especially the "star" lock washers they stock. Useless.

Nitrile oring selection is handy to have around. Springs of any sort are a crap shoot since the alloy can make such a difference in how they hold up. Hard to go wrong really with the roll-pins since a decently hard spring steel is usually more than sufficient for 95 percent of the non critical places you're likely to use them. Same with cotter pins and key stock. For something like cir-clips I'd rather use OEM or name brand since they're often in critical places (catastrophe if they break). (edited)

Brad William /

A lot of times you can also find what you need if you just roam the isles a bit and be creative..

A pretty nearly 8mm x 10mm bushing is right in the plumbing dept. The nominal OD of a 99 cent 1/8 steel pipe nipple is about 10.25mm. The ID is 6.85mm but it's soft steel and very easy to drill out to 8mm. Hell, it's made in china and probably already 8mm:) Very quick and easy bushing stock right there. (edited)

Jason King /

Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up ordering the from the site rebel showed me. They werent the cheapest but thats the price I pay for being a lazy bastard.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account