reattach pedals

Crysta Benelli(portland) /

Benelli G2 1978

Hi there, first time owner, just bought a fixer upper, the pedals have been removed, so it looks like the last owner would just push start it, but i would like to reattach them.

as is there is what i think is the pedal spindle w gear, and the arms that attach to the pedals, so as far as i know pedals themselves need to be replaced and i need a chain.

Question's-is the pedal chain a bicycle chain?, how do you size? are the pedals bicycle pedals? does it sound like there is anything else missing? could i just carry the pedal/crank into a bike shop and they would know what to give me?

thank you much.

Re: reattach pedals

neat bike.

some bikes run the pedals through the engine and share the same drive chain, i dont think yours does.

typically there is a chainring sprocket up front with the pedal crank arms, and a freewheel sprocket on the rear wheel.

it's a bicycle chain but you need to get a single speed chain specifically because it's slightly wider than other typical bike chains.

the pedals are bicycle pedals but you need the 9/16 thread (which is more common and found on cottered and 3-piece bicycle cranks) as opposed to the smaller 1/2 in. thread pedals for cheapo kids bikes and one piece cranks.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Hey fellow Portlander, where are you located? I'm in NoPo. I could look at it for you, to see what you need.

thank you, sounds good, the rear wheel sprocket is still in tact but empty and there 's a drive chain in place, so it is the dbl chain system, time to go shopping.i dont have the internet, but next time i'll try to post a picture, probably easier when looking for advice.thanks again.-christa

hey thats an awesome offer, besides the whole pedal mechanism being removed it has yet to start, cleaned out the carburetor ect, it was looking like an electrical problem so i just dropped it off yesterday with eric sabatino in st.johns(sabatino mopeds),it should be operating next time i see it, then i can continue with the pedal issue.

i'm over on the SW side, multnomah village, so across town, but thankyou!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account