What dos it usually cost to have...

Ron Chappell /

a stock 50cc V1 cyl. rebored, slightly over, at your local machine shop?

Re: What dos it usually cost to have...

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

call them and ask?

Ron Chappell /

I have - just trying to get a comparison price - these guys here are outrageous ...I think. $90. to make a light pass through a tiny cylinder. I can do the set up on a lathe and boring bar and do this job in twenty minutes tops ... that is if I had a lathe, LOL

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

thats too high I've had quotes around here for 40 but then you have the cost of the os'd parts thats... where the money comes in. If you can kit it thats probably your cheapest route and reap the rewards (edited)

Ron Chappell /

already have the new 38.8 piston and rings. This cylinder is apparently the 20-25mph version with the slightly smaller bore.

You are probably right about just kitting it. I do have another engine I could put this piston in.

$40 here locally. You have to tell them the clearances and bring them the piston.

Bore and Hone. Then you got to clean up the ports and wash the cylinder out super well!

Ron Chappell /

Thanks guys, I can live with $40. but for $90. I should just kit it I guess.

40.00 to bore and hone and 20.00 to chamfer

I can't even find someone that has small enough tooling to hone/bore the cylinder. You need plates to bore the cylinder just like when they do the hd cylinder. (edited)

Ron Chappell /

Finally found an old guy working out of his garage (nice equip too). He did a super job, with by-the-book clearances, for $40. ...AND did it while I waited. I champhered my own ports , gapped the rings, etc Machinists here had just gone crazy with their prices this last year or so. Checked shops all over town and prices ranged from $75. (one week wait) to $90. (two day wait). Ya just gotta keep looking I guess :^)

well, I would went and bought a 43mm piston kit and had it bored and hone to that.. not some stock bs piston. imo

there money to be made tell him if he wants more to do.

Ron Chappell /

The faster ya go the faster you blow! :^)

The was for a restoration which the guy wants all original. If it were mine I would have kitted it.

yeah. easier just to kit it. or buy new top end on buy/sell forum.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account