Throttle is stuck open

Dustin Donelan /

Finally got my '85 QT50 moved to the Cities after I bought it about 15 years ago. It has been sitting for about 3 years, but after a little work its up and running again. The only problem is that the throttle is getting stuck all the way open. I've taken a look at the whole throttle system and everything seems to be working (throttle cable, junction box, carb section, etc) but it doesn't want to return after throttled back. I'm just OK, not amazing, when it comes to mechanics, so I'm not sure where to go from here. What are some common problems or hints that may help.

PS what is actually suppose to return the throttle after being pulled back?

Re: Throttle is stuck open

Spring inside the slide.Unscrew the top of the carb where the cable goes in and take out the slide(should be hooked to the end of the cable).Be careful in case it has come undone somehow and the spring goes flying.Check everything out and maybe check the slide for wear.I would wipe a little 2stroke oil on sides of the slide and put back together if nothing is broke.The spring could just be weak from sitting too

Re: Throttle is stuck open

it is possible the slide has to be rotated 180 degrees.

there is a little pin on the wall of the carb that allows the slide to be put in only one way .

if it is put in 180 degrees around the little notch for the idol screw on the slide will get stuck on the pin insted of the pin lining up with the Chanel in the slide.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account