No spark on Pinto

Elvis Lindsey /

So prior to replacing the clutch on my Pinto e50 yesterday everything worked perfectly (well besides the clutch pads being worn). Once reassembled it no longer sparks?! Changed plug, checked ground, and anything else I could look for. Any idea what could have happened or what to check?

Re: No spark on Pinto

There is a chance that when removing the clutch cover and starting cable that you pulled a wire loose. Some of these old wiring blocks are shitty at best. Give a quick light tug on each wire going into the block to see if any of them are not actually connected.

Report back.

Elvis Lindsey /

So I retraced all wires, re-connected quite a few, and changed the plug once again and it still would not spark. I gave up and decided to pedal it with clutch pulled down a pretty steep hill and about 30 yards later it finally started and has ran since. No idea what this did to make it spark but I do think it's time to finally do a full re-wire.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

bad bulb in the tail light, horn malfunctioning

was the new clutch shimmed properly. I have assembled clutches before and not shimmed them right. Therefore the pressure plate of the clutch was not making great contact. Once you get it moving and the clutch starts engaging on its own it might start just fine.

So maybe when your pedaling on the stand your not gripping enough to get proper flywheel rotation to generate spark. Also sometimes new clutches are slippery. Just a thought if it does not apply ignore it.

Elvis Lindsey /

I ordered the new clutch from treats so I assume it was shimmed properly. I'm fixing to pull it back out and do a fresh re-install. You may be right though because it will only start now while going down a steep hill.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account