PA 50 missing headbolt and stripped head

Well my oddessy continues. Whereas I may soon have spark I was inspecting the engine and low and behold one of the four long bolts that connect the cylinder and head to the block(I'm using autos peak) is missing. So I took off the cylinder and right....no threads in the block whereas the other three were pretty good. So reading a recent post I was going to take the bike into a local motorcycle shop for a helicoil.

Does anyone know where I can get another bolt about 3 7/8" long . That will fit? Correctly..

I don't think I want to tap and thread a new helicoil myself unless the equipment is so cheap and foolproof.

Re: PA 50 missing headbolt and stripped head

while you're at it, maybe try this mod?

I just read that. Where do you get the studs?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Well the bad news is that a previous owner tried to drill out the broken stud and skived off into the case. The motorcycle shop delivered the news to me. He indicated that for a machine shop to weld in a repair and then tap and thread in a new spot for threads would be near astronomical. The rest of the head is worn as are the crankshaft bearings. So I need anything from the right side of the case to a rebuilt motor. Any thoughts?

Andrew Kotcher /

well if it runs good you can put a timesert in it instead of a helicoil it is larger and should work!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account