Embarrassing: Melted Bearings

So i was installing new bearings on my crank shaft and was heating them up before installation. I left them on the grill to heat up, came back later, and the plastic spacers in the bearing race had melted (at what i thought was a relatively low 400 deg F). So, two questions:

A - Can the bearings be used without the spacers? I would think not, since the balls can now move freely, but if its still safe that would be a life saver

B - Anyone got Sachs 505 bearings if the answer to A is no? or, do they know where replacements can be found? Are they the same as the ones used in other engines?

Re: Embarrassing: Melted Bearings

You are suppose to take those off anyway..

Oh... Shnit. That would make sense, but I feel like the plastic only went in on the side that faced the crankshaft lobes.

[Radium City] kyle k $ /

400 degrees is relatively low for various frozen pizzas but not for rubbery bearing shields

No no, I think TJ thinks you're talking about the bearings built-in seals which sometimes come on new bearings.

This picture depicts the parts of the bearing that you should have:

Was your 'bearing cage' the part that melted?

Or was it the black ring in this picture?..

That black ring is the built in seal I mentioned. Those you take out. The bearing cage you leave in.

Bearings with plastic bearings kinda suck in my opinion for reasons such as this, but it seems like even nice FAG bearings come with them sometimes.

The spec for 505 mains are 6202 C3 DIN 625 which you can search out or search by size 15x35x11. I would suggest to avoid the $2.00 ones and look for FAG or SKF

It was the cage that melted. Not terribly convenient. I was going to have my led back together by the end of the week but I don't know about that now

Okay. Thanks. I saw there was something written on the bearing cage before I melted it but I didn't take note of it. So thanks for the numbers

Just to be clear, you NEED a bearing cage. Those bearings are ruined.

Yeah. Thats what i figured. crap

Unrelated to the melted bearings: If i used sealed bearings, can i forgo the the big crankshaft seals? The seals cause a bit of friction. would seal bearings provide enough of a seal?

No, they are only sealed enough to keep their grease in, not hold a vacuum.

Seals do not cause friction because they ride on a very fine layer of oil from your premix. This is why bikes parked for too long need new crank seals, the oil finally dries out between the seal and shaft and it sticks. It then rips when the shaft is moved.

Joe Beaupre Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Unrelated to the melted bearings: If i used sealed

> bearings, can i forgo the the big crankshaft

> seals? The seals cause a bit of friction. would

> seal bearings provide enough of a seal?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account