Pa 50 resistor and headlight bulb

The majority of folks talk about the placing the stock resistor in series with the high filament of the hi/low headlight. But the wiring diagram shows it to be connected to the white lead which is the low beam! What's with that. Which or is it both circuits that should have a resistor?

Re: Pa 50 resistor and headlight bulb

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

majority of folks,

I've been around a while, and have never heard of this.

Sorry so which circuit do you use with the resistor? Hi or low?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Just wire it like the factory has it.

Hobbit 79-80 wiring diagram.jpg

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Ok please look at the diagram. The low beam is white the high beam is blue the resistor is in parallel with the white. That's how i see it. So nothing protects too much current from passing through the blue wire ie the high beam. Is this not the case.

Yeap. You got it right.

No protection for brighty bluey.

But isn't that the one most at risk for burnout? Has anyone added a resistor to that circuit.using the same one would connect the high and low, right?

This isnt just theoretical. I am requiring my pa50. Finally got a handle on the ignition circuit and when I put in the points I just ordered I will be one step closer to a running bike. What I find when I pedal in high beam the hi indicator light glows very bright and the headlight doesn't come on at all. So somehow the resistance in the small bulb is so much less that it s filament preferentially glows. Now maybe the wrong filaments are in there but now im thinking that perhaps in addition when I figure out what's up with the indicator light I maybe should try to protect either / or from too much current. Any ideas?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Maybe the indicator light acts as a resistor, or I would think that Honda would have this all figured out.

You could do it without harming anything if you wanted...

The bright filament might be stronger and not need the protection as much.

I love hobbit lighting potential.

But you need to harness it correctly or POW! Melty burny!

The stock 6v gets to very high voltage when you get them rpms up. 30-40v.

My 6v hobbit is now a regulated 12v beast just by adding a regulator and a battery.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account