V1 no sparkey ?

I put the red wire straight to the coil and the blue wire to the frame. I left the black wire connected. Nothing at all. The points open and are clean. Could it be a bad condensor ?

Re: V1 no sparkey ?

Darrell Gabbard /

yep and it could be a bad HT coil and it could be a bad mag coil under the flywheel. does the black wire power up the head light as you pedal on the stand?

I don't think the lights work. Damn sealed beam looks good but who knows. I have the flywheel off now and the ignition is clean as fuck. Its a lazer sport 50 that was part of a guys collection in the 80's. He died and I bought it from the family. It only has 1000 miles on it and everything is unmolested stock.

Put the flywheel back on and no lights when it turns over. So no spark, no lights. WTF ? Can the whole ignition be bad ?

Darrell Gabbard /

some times you need to remove the stator plate off the engine case and make sure its metel to metal so that the ground completes its path next you need to inspect the engine mount bolts and pull 1 out and inspect it, make sure theres no hidden corossion that can hamper the path to ground. and make sure a couple of nuts can stick to the under side of the magneto with out good magnets threre will be no current. take an ohm meter and check the mag coil and light coil put a lead on the condensor and a lead on the blue wire , whats the reading?

Well new condenser didn't work. I tried a working HT coil and still nothing. The magneto is strong. Wth ????

Damn I want to ride this thing.

Darrell Gabbard /

check the plug boot and unscrew the brass connector/ retaining screw out of the boot and inspect the copper plug wire and make sure theres no corrosion on it. you might need to trim the wire an inch if you see any green on the copper. then you can push the wire back in the boot and screw down on the clean wire

The known working HT coil I have has an almost brand new spark wire and boot. I'm starting to think I have a bad coil or something.

unplug the black wire also.. ... hmm no twist and gooo either or electric tape bs .

check for continuity on both coils, plus is your blue wire grounded?

Yeah blue wire is bolted to the frame now. black wire upluged does nothing, black wire grounded with the blue wire does nothing.

I love the thought of a ducati CDI on this bike, but it is a stock barn find now so no need for a $300 ignition...yet !

something isn't right.. then.

red to the coil

blue to the frame

if the points are cleaned and timing is set correctly.. you should have spark.

Could I have a bad coil ?

Anything is possible you will have to ohm stuff out vs working coils. Find another stator plate assembly maybe? Is the cam wore out on the points?

Have you pulled the magneto?

Yeah I pulled the magneto and put in a new condenser, checked the points, etc. There are just over 1000 original miles on the bike (speedo/odometer works) so the cam is good still. Damn v1's always give me shit.

check for continuity.

Ended up being a bad boot wire. I changed the HT coil and spark boot wire. Bright blue sparky spark now.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

I thought you said the wire was new. Glad you fixed it tho.

It was. I tried a new ht coil and wire but I guess trying to hold the wires, spark plug, clutch lever, and kick it over was too much for my 2 hands. With some gang help we got it fixed.

Now when I put it back to stock from hard wired I got no spark again. Its a 77 Lazer sport 50 so does it need a battery to make the circuit complete?

Pusher Aaron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Now when I put it back to stock from hard wired I

> got no spark again. Its a 77 Lazer sport 50 so

> does it need a battery to make the circuit

> complete?

Yes the battery (even if dead) completes the circuit. Leave it in place and connected if you're doing stock wires, or make your life easier in the long run and hardwire the sucker.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account