puch maxi air leak around intake manifold

I have an air leak around my intake manifold. Where the carb clamps on the manifold. Iv tried rubber tape and alum tape. I know its kinda getto but its cheap. Does anyone have a better solution? (edited)

Re: puch maxi air leak around intake manifold

Rubber O-ring that you put inside carb, then slide onto intake.

Do you know what size O-ring to use, or where to order it?

put some compound in there.

Home Depot sells a kit for like $8 of every size up to #16 I believe. If anyone knows the exact size Mcmaster Carr would be a great resource.

Every Maxi I've owned had this trouble. The best thing to do is use some Yamabond or Hondabond on the inside to cover all the little gaps. After that you unbolt the intake from the cylinder every time you want to work on the carb (unless you want to put yamabond on every time and wait a day for it to set). You can get yama/hondabond pretty cheap on ebay

Overpriced Parts /

I got a set of O rings for a dollar+tax at the dollar store.

Though I never seem to have this leak people talk about the o rings

Come in handy for many things

Jeff Woodin /

I'm pretty sure I corrected this leak yesterday with an O-ring, but I'll have to re-check after riding for a while. What I found was that that proper o-ring will be the same diameter as the carb clamp, but somewhat on the thin side. I tried first with a thicker one but it seemed to prevent me from sliding the carb all the way back onto the intake.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account