Puch Clutch Trouble

My 78 Maxi has extremely poor acceleration. It can get up to speed eventually but has virtually no take off. Could this be due to the clutch engaging too late/soon? I have a clutch puller, along with some of the blue springs from Treats on the way. I also had a few air leaks but am waiting on some missing gaskets, etc to come in.

Just trying to figure it out,

Thanks!

Re: Puch Clutch Trouble

Probably Fred /

Ya lose the blue springs and get kickstart springs. The blue ones are feeble like the original ones don't bother with them. Get a new clutch cover gasket too.

Anthony Heubel /

Thank you, could you explain the difference between the clutch engaging too late/soon?

Ed - Dead Possums /

Blue springs on your (stock?) setup will be just fine. I run them in all my stock and kitted peds. But it seems like you have other problems, air leaks, carb tuning, etc. that could be more of the culprit. What about your timing? Check that. 17 degrees.

Thicker springs and lighter clutch shoes makes the clutch engage later at higher rpms. These engines have more power at higher rpms, so if the clutch grabs too soon it takes longer for the rpms to build. If the clutch slips, the rpms go up higher before you take off. Giving better acceleration, from the more power.

Fix everything else first. Get your engine running soundly then mod the clutch.

Anthony Heubel /

I have everything on the way to fix the air leaks, along with a few different sized jets, etc.. I'm really nervous about messing with my timing because the only video I've seen is the one where the kid sets it to full advance and everyone has been saying that's really bad. What could bad timing cause? I checked the points and I'm not sure where the timings set but the points seemed to be opening up the right amount.

Thanks

Ed - Dead Possums /

Get a timing light, $20 get some feeler gauges at ACE hardware, $7 That video sucks, but it does show you the basics, just get a light bc full advance is not for every setup.

Anthony Heubel /

I have a stock 78 maxi, do you think I'd be able to set it to full advance? I'm also pretty low on money. I know there's a print out to help find TDC, should I just do that and go from there?

Probably Fred /

No not only is full advance wrong it's dangerous.

Even full retard on the stator is too much advance with a 16-18 point gap

Either you got to shrink the point gap to around 12-13 thousand (which is not enough in my opinion) and run full retard on the stator or set points to 16-18 and dremel the stator slots to get more retard.

16-17 degrees or mm before top dead center on the flywheel with a timing light is what you want for good cool running.

I hate that full advance timing video on U boob for its all full of fail

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account