please someone teach me how to change a fucking inner tube

Christian Giron /

Lets start out that I am, by no means, an idiot. I'm a mechanical engineer and have learned a lot of this stuff very quickly and on my own by searching and asking the right questions. I just can't quite grasp this.

I've changed my stock dry-rotted tomos tires out for pirellis and it went flawlessly.

I consistently have a flat with a gazelle on my hobbit and its a horror story. I used to use tire irons and i'd always end up pinching them.. then.. I learned about the garbage bag trick.

I did the garbage back trick. Got rid of the little metal washer that doesn't quite fit in my wheel and only used one nut to hold it in place.

So I successfully did the garbage bag trick and was ecstatic. There was no way I pinched it this time as I didn't use tire irons. Welp, quarter mile later I'm sliding around on another flat. I didn't pull the inner tube, as I'm about to throw it in the corner and put it in time out, but it looks like the same symptoms as a few of my other flats

When I pulled the last tube, I noticed that some of the tire bunched near the nipple and I guess either push or pulled it in one direction and tore the rubber at the base of the nipple. The first two pictures are of the old tube with the little washer and a nut in place. The last picture is my currently stuck nipple on my hobbit that looks exactly the same as that other tube when it was in.

Why is it doing this? Am I using the wrong size (17x2.25/2.50)? Am I incorrectly using the given washers and nuts that come with the tube?

ARGGGGGHHHHDAHS;LFKASDFLAHSD;FLHSAD;LJFLASDJK;

Re: please someone teach me how to change a fucking inner tube

Your pics didn't post either

Christian Giron /

lol god damnit.

Here are the first three.

Here are ones I just took after I dismounted the wheel.

I good set of tire irons is very helpful, use soapy water to reduce the chance of pinching. Take your time. Also once you have the tire back on but only partially inflated push and pull the tire side to side on the rim as hard as you can and go all the way around the wheel. This makes sure the tube isn't sticking in between the rim and tire.

Overpriced Parts /

Soapy water will make rust use talcum powder

Christian Giron /

The thing is, I feel like I mounted it fine and it took air perfectly... but is there any reason the inner tube would bunch/twist like it did in those last pictures?

What brand of tube are you using? I've found that anytime I use a Kings brand tube the tire will go flat almost immediately. I went through three separate brand new tubes in a row on the rear of my brothers FA50, and a pair on the front and rear gazelles on my Sachs. I'm done with that brand.

Christian Giron /

I use double tough, the tube they have at my local cycle gear.

I probably just posted this out of moped rage though because I just mounted another tire, but this time half inflating the tube inside the tire and then doing the bag trick. So far so good after going double the distance that my last one got gnarled up.

Now gotta figure out why my shit isn't variating all the way after notching... gained a full 2mph! but thats for another thread.

TL;DL Fuck mopeds, but they're awesome.

This seems to be a common problem with gazzeles because my friend kept getting flats when he was running them.

-Aron

Ed - Dead Possums /

It bunched up when it went flat. The tire slid around on the rim a bit bunching up the tube. Did you check the inside of the tire for anything that could be poking your tube? And did you check the rim for maybe some rust that could be poking your tube? Is there a rubber thing in there that protects the tube from the ends of the spokes?

for me, s.o.p. is mark the valve stem on the tire, and again on the same side of the tube.

then you can locate exactly where the hole came from, tire puncture with debris still stuck in it, or a rim punching holes.

looks like the wheel and rim spun after going flat, tearing the tube because the valve stem won't spin.

look for the first leak, valve stem was a victim.

Christian Giron /

Oh damn these are good ideas.

I wrote it off but it looks like I have more to look into.

Thanks for the replies. I chalked it up to me not knowing how to install te gazelles because I always pinched them, didn't even think about spokes or something else.

And yeah I do have the rubber strip around the spokes. Ill pull the other tubes out of the garbage and examine them.

Again, thanks for the helpful replies.

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

I didnt read any of the above.

Your tube in the photo is not lined up properly with the valve stem hole. When you aired it up it probably pinched at the base of the valve stem. Put a new tube in and this time make sure not to rotate it out of line with the hole.

Just because youre an engineer doesnt mean youre not an idiot.

Ed - Dead Possums /

Way to go josh. He is smarter than that. The tube was not lined up due to the flat not user error.

Brad William /

I"ll go looking right now, but will someone save me a little effort in case I fail.....

.... what's the "garbage bag trick"?

never mind...

Does this actually work for the moped tires we run ? (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

Ya it's easier if you cut the excess bag off before you pull it out

Christian Giron /

Josh, you have a point with that last comment... some of the kids I've met in my classes, ohhhh man. But as people have said before, it was lined up but the flat caused it to bunch like that.

brad, the garbage bag trick is 10x easier than the tire irons I've been using.

So far everything seems perfect, one of the steps that I missed was to half inflate it inside the tube, so maybe something pinched when I tried to inflate it after I already mounted it. Either way, next time it becomes flat I'll definitely check everything mentioned above.

Brad William /

Seems obvious that a combination of garbage bag and talc would be a plus.

No?

Andrew Kotcher /

tire lube or soapy water works so well!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account