'77 Batavus Bronco -- overheating???

So I have a 1977 Batavus Bronco that I recently revamped cosmetically.

Before taking it apart it ran just fine. I took it apart to change up the paint job, bars, and seat. When I did this I made sure to take the motor of intact and not mess with it. Now that its back together, it will run for about 10 minutes before it dies. And then it won't start. It needs like 20 min to chill before it will start and run for 10 minutes and die again.

The only differences between when it ran reliably and now are 1. weather/temp (its a lot warmer now) and 2. the motor is about 3 inches further back on the frame now than it was before.

I'm pretty new to peds and still learning, so don't know if its an airflow issue or what. I'm totally stumped.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :-)

Re: '77 Batavus Bronco -- overheating???

Probably Fred /

Bad condenser maybe

Maybe gas cap vent clogged?

Check # 17 it messed up my Bat, fuel didnt flow into carb properly. its a tiny metal filter.

carb diagram

♣Slew Foot♣ /

pinched points wire from condensor, probly bare and when the voltage is high enough it grounds the condensor by arcing to the stator.

Also make sure carb vent is open.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

one more thing, if it is smokin pretty bad before it dies, your rings could be too worn.

Thanks for all the responses :-)

I'm out of town for a stint, but am gonna hit the garage as soon as I get back.

Did you ever identify the issue? My batavus is also running great for 10-15 minutes, then bogging down to the point of dying... wait 15-20 for it to cool and it's good again for a bit.

Carb dirty, soft seizing because too lean.

> Ken Fitz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Did you ever identify the issue? My batavus is also running great for

> 10-15 minutes, then bogging down to the point of dying... wait 15-20 for

> it to cool and it's good again for a bit.

I vote for the condenser. Check for spark after it warms up and dies. If you have weak/no spark, it's the condenser

how do u know its overheating?

im guessing gas flow, non venting cap, no inline filter, check fuel supply, is it clean mix.

Pushrod Fifty /

Pull the fuel line off the carb and open it, run it into a container for a few minutes to see if the flow starts getting interupted, if not fuel then condenser.

Nice setup, way different than stock ape hanger style, like the mid pipe.

download.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account