Clutch tuning

Ok so ive got a 1978 puch maxi w/ 70cc kstar kit case matched stock crank 17-40 gearing techno circuit pipe new bing carb and metal mesh air filter also paz clutch springs- 2 turns in flush. So my question is if i turn out the springs from flush does the clutch activate sooner or do i turn the springs in more flush to open the clutch sooner? I want to get up to speed a little quicker, if there is other hints also let me know, thanks

Re: Clutch tuning

Probably Fred /

Kickstart springs are about thickest you can buy lately and will work better.

The more you turn in the later rpm your clutch grips.

That is what you want especially with medium gearing like what your running

Nathan Edgerly /

I have it two turns in. Is tat pretty good? I hit 12,000 - 12500 rpms with that setup

Probably Fred /

You lie or you don't know how to work/set up a tach

No way with a Circuit pipe you hit 12,500 rpm more like 8-8,400 rpm

And that has nothing to do with the clutch cause those springs it's all engaged at about 4,000 rpm

Nathan Edgerly /

Idk my trail tech is set to one ppm and is connected to the hot side of Coil

Probably Fred /

12,500 rpm with 17x40 gears is about 77 mph

I have or had several 70cc, Techno circuit setups and they top out at 9,000 at most.

So you lie

Nathan Edgerly /

Ok well my trail tech must be set up wrong. So how. Do you preffer the set up the tach

Probably Fred /

Don't use that tach

Go by the e50 gearing chart in the wiki

Mike Lyions /

My advice is to listen to Ken. I have the 50cc K star kit with the circuit pipe and Paz clutch and springs. (My wifes bike) I set her springs with a fish scale and a piece of paper. Get the clutch stationary with a bench vise or something, put the piece of paper between the clutch hub and the back of the cluch shoe (piece of rubber on the shoe) and then use the scale to set the spring. I think I went with 15lbs. When you pull the scale the shoe should start to open and drop the paper at your desired wieght. I wanted to have the clutch engage right before the pipe hit.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account