Help!! Vespa Grande is hard to pedal, doesn't turn over.

Justin Barnett /

I've been riding this grande for about 3 days, ran/started great until after work tonight. I made sure to measure out the oil 50:1, and again ran great prior. It is really hard to pedal and makes no spudering sound like its trying to turn over. could it be bad spark plug? would that explain why its hard to pedal? or....is it seized up....? it has the "25" sticker on the sub-frame, ran that mph, and had the correct oil mixture so i don't know how it would seize. Help please!!!

Re: Help!! Vespa Grande is hard to pedal, doesn't turn over.

If it's seized then you wouldn't be able to turn it over at all. Maybe something is caught in the cylinder or the bearings are shot. Does it make any weird noises? How about when you turn it over by hand? Does the decomp make it easier to turn?

Justin Barnett /

decomp doesn't seem to help much if at all. doesn't make much noise, and nearly impossible to turn by hand. like i said, it ran great this morning, but tonight all this happened.

Justin Barnett /

i guess it might sound a little "dry". the other day i found some rust chunks in the pecock, so i dumped the reserve... could a little chunk of rust cause this? but why would it run fine, turn it off, sits for 9 hours, then is nearly impossible to pedal?

Justin Barnett /

btw, thanks Bryant, I really appreciate the feedback!

You say "nearly impossible" to spin by hand. Does it spin or not???

If you did seize, its not the end of the world.. I have some cheap stock top ends for sale with piston, good rings, and all. Also have a 12.10 (guessing yours is 12.7?) If you wanna turn that 25 into a 30mph version.

Only way to really find out is pull the motor. Take the top end off, if you cant slide the cylinder off then its seized. If you can, inspect it(+piston) for scoring. If none continue on to the crank and try to spin it by hand. if it still wont its gotta be a bad bearing, which are cheap anyways. but splitting and reassembling the cases sucks. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will magically start turning over again. Hope so, but if not better get to work..

I know this might sound funny but did u look at the rear bolts on the engine frame? If they are loose the rear wheel might be binding. The bolts get loose and cause the rear clutch to bind against the sub frame and it could feel like an engine prob.

adjust the decomp lever to make sure decomp valve

opens when you pedal the bike to start it

1. grab the outside of the variator and try to spin it by hand

2. try to spin the back wheel by hand to eliminate the pedal circuit.

3. flip the transmission to bike mode via the little pin on the back wheel and try to pedal.

this should tell you whether your tough spot is in the engine, trans, clutch, or pedal circuits.

figure out where your problem is, or just do these things and post your results, and we can help you further.

^^ Do that.

Hard to pedal? -- first thought is decomp, second thought is belt slipping, and third thought is the starter clutch. All of that would make the bike harder to pedal and not start.

Justin Barnett /

Thanks for the responses! I was able to free it up by twisting the variator. Its been running great for the past few days, but it is difficult to start. It is really easy to pedal now (smooth), but takes a lot of reps to turn over. Just changed the spark plug. Seems to run better, but starting isn't any easier.

Make sure all your gaskets/seals are good.

Gap your points and maybe replace the condenser.

If it's still hard to start, try squirting a little oil in the spark plug hole and then starting it. This will make a better seal with the rings. If it fires up right away, your rings/piston are probably bad.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account