Ciao only runs at high RPMs

I have a 1976 piaggio ciao and it will only run when I give it the throttle while I am peddling as fast as I can. It has new points, condenser, HT coil, and a new spark plug. I have re-adjusted the points but perhaps they are the problem still? Should I re-adjust them or something else? Any pointers would help.

Re: Ciao only runs at high RPMs

How high do the rpms need to be? Will it stay running with the throttle open just a little? If so, your idle circuit is probably clogged.

What is the idle circuit? I've never seen any on the diagrams.

Update

I discovered by accident that there were sparks coming out from where the HT coil makes contact with the bike. I made my own "adapter plate" because the coil was the old style. here's the video

(edited)

If you're using the stock Vespa carb, it looks like this

Ok thanks, I'll check that and post what I find. But what about the sparks???

Ground the coil to the chassis with more than one bolt. Make sure it has a good contact with the frame.

Ok I'll try that next.

I cleaned it and confirmed that there is good flow but it still won't work :|

when I do that it won't start at all. Could the new coil be bad? There is a small dent that goes across about 3 to 4 layers.

I just recently switched to synthetic oil- gas mix, could that prevent it from running? It says in the manual not to use detergent oils.....

It will run with synthetic.. What are you mixing it at? 50:1?

Also what did you set your points and plug to?

I believe they call for:

Plug: .60 mm (.24 Inch)

Yeah 50:1 gas mix and both the points and the pug are spaced correctly. My main concern is that I might have ruined the coil. I had it running before the coil was grounded and then after I cut a plate to bolt it on, it stopped working. That's when I found out the coil was sparking where it touched the bolts(ground).

change the jet to # 49 or 50

I found out recently that my needle and float aren't working properly. I'll just replace the needle and float unless the current 50cc engine run with a 13.13 carb. Does anyone know if it will?

I was thinking maybe this one https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=spaco-SHA-13mm-cable-choke&CartID=1

As I said earlier elsewhere I just put the 13.13 carb , dellorto in and my bravo runs way better. As the product description states the choke is too short so I am going to switch it with the original.

Thanks a lot! I'll just get the new carb then

Exactly. Keep the old carb and study it thats what I am doing. There is a link on the wiki to a dellorto technical manualnwhichnactually explains how these thingsnworknand why and how they can be modified. Itnresidesmon a old tractormwebsitenbut it's in our wiki or forum somewhere. Unfortunately I can't email it to you usingnthisnipad but if you can't find it send me a private email and I will attempt to get you the link. It is a great teaching andnreferencemsource.

Do u have a relative who is a gasteoenterologist?

Yes that's the one!!

I don't know what that is, maybe though I have a big family

By the way how does the throttle attach? My old one had threads that it screwed into but this one doesn't.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account