Garelli clutch sticking, Pain in the ass to ride

The rubber clutch on my garelli had been sticking ever since the middle of Moped Larry's ride, meaning that if i came to a stop, the engine would slow down and stall. So I took it apart and found a bunch of rubber that had melted and stuck to the metal drum that the clutch sits in. To fix it I cleaned out all the rubber, made sure the drum was in good condition, replaced the bushings, and put it all back together.

Now the clutch is doing the same thing just not as bad since i can get it to unstick before i stop by jamming on the brakes and holding the throttle open until the clutch lets go.

I have good bushings in there now and I'm using 30w Non-Detergent oil in the transmission. The big rubber clutch pad is a reproduction one that I got from treats and put in about 6 weeks ago.

What could possibly be causing it to stick? am i doing something wrong? are the reproduction clutches not as good as OEM? Help please!! It is a total pain in the ass when your riding in town, having to stop a lot, and your moped is trying its hardest to stall at every damn stop sign or light.

Re: Garelli clutch sticking, Pain in the ass to ride

I would only be live since the 70's the rubber quality is better, but the diameter may be a bit larger causing your binding problem. I personally run synthetic 0-20 in my case, slips much longer. I also polished the clutch bell so it would be more smooth to promote the "slipping".

Nate Dood /

how has that affected the clutch engaging when your trying to get going from a stop?

revs out more like a normal "push style" clutch

Gets you closer to power rpm before launching.

See if your starting engagement is too tight - also be sure to check the oiler holes for crankshaft to clutch bell lubrication as rubber debris will tend to clog them. You then end up with a seized clutch to shaft situation. One thing I have noticed is how picky these clutches are when they aren't clean or if the oil level isn't high enough, I would increase the oil level before trying any synthetics if any synthetics at all since it is possible they can break down the chemical bonds in the rubber and cause swelling. Further, more slipping of the clutch, especially revving much higher than the normal RPM range of engagement will cause large amounts of heat on any large hill which will cause you to smear the inside of the clutch bell with melty rubber - it will then immediately start being sticky (also rubber filled oiler holes, crankshaft seizure, lots of damage). Avoid slipping up over a quarter of your RPM range - you want a comfortable takeoff, not a clutch eating machine.

Nate Dood /

There was some excess melted rubber on the outside of the clutch pad itself that i didnt clean off, could that be causing it?

everything martin said is true, but i use mobil 0-20 syn in mine for about 3 years now, no swelling, and it doesnt rev crazy high and really doesnt let go like an armed clutch does when slowing down on a hill to allow slip thats just where the rubber garelli clutch fails to be useful.

Nate Dood /

thanks for the information, ill take it all apart again when i get the chance, in the mean time it has gotten better and better the more i just ride it, oddly enough.

I'll keep that synthetic in mind. I was using amsoil synthetic while also going up a very steep long gravel driveway and just destroying clutches - I really wasn't sure what to think so I just stopped using it.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Mine was doing the same thing. My bike had 90 some-odd miles put on it in 11 years. So it had lots of sitting around time. The clutches dragged like crazy at first. After I drained and flushed a couple times it was fine. But, the long steep driveway everyday here is killing the rubbers, I think. It's dragging again.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account