Maxi just died while riding.

Brenan Chambers /

My Maxi had been running fine all day, when it just sorta sputtered out.

Symptoms: Riding at full speed, then the engine very suddenly loses all power. When I pull the throttle, makes a choking sound until eventually just sputters out all together by the end of the block.

I pull over, take apart the carb, clean it all out with carb cleaner. No change. I pull out the spark plug, a bit oily, wipe it off, check spark (was bright out, but I did see an orange spark). After I put it back in, I give it a kick. I hear combustion for maybe 4 piston cycles before it quickly just stops. I change out the spark plug all together, no change.

So, carb seems fine, spark plug appeared to be working, and there were no leaks in the head, and I had plenty of gas. Whats going on??

Re: Maxi just died while riding.

Have you tried it out after it cooled down?

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

Take your cylinder off and have a look.

Brenan Chambers /

I let it cool down. I had to push it all the way back to my place where I switched out the spark plug, so it had plenty of time to cool.

Brenan Chambers /

What would I be looking for?

If it worked after it had cooled down, that would almost certainly mean that your condensor was bad.

Anyway, check for spark again. It should be blue. Orange spark might get you by sometimes, but the fatter, brighter, and bluer, the better.

Other than that, check compression. "Very suddenly loses all power" sounds kinda like a seize. Is it a stock bike or have you made any modifications to it?

Also verify that trying to start it causes the plug to get wet (thus you know that gas is getting through the carb), and check that your points haven't slipped. Spark is good, but if it happens at the wrong time in the cycle, it doesn't do you much good.

Brenan Chambers /

Its a new condenser actually. Just installed about a year ago. I replaced the head with with a 50cc hi compression head over a year ago.

Can points slip so suddenly like that?

Brenan Chambers /

I turned it over a few times and the new plug came out completely clean, i.e. no gas getting into the cylinder?

it also felt harder to kick, which should also mean theres no gas getting into the cylinder?

im using a 14mm, with a 60 bing jet, but with just a thin panty hose filter. too lean?

Overpriced Parts /

Possible seize do to advanced timing and lean jetting

Brenan Chambers /

Well the piston still moves, whats the best way to remedy this?

Overpriced Parts /

Check compression or remove head and cylinder. Inspect for damage

Have you checked that you have gas in the tank? Its happened to me before.

It gas flowing from the petcock ok?

POST REMOVED

repeat (edited)

Can a sieze or partial sieze happen yet the piston still move and be okay when it's cool, and only affect when it's hot?

Orange spark is weak, should be blue!

you really got to take the engine apart and inspect like others have said. post some pics.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account