AV7 head mount pivot spacer

So im putting my engine back together and cant remember how it goes back in small lip facing up or down. Cant find it in the manuel or online. It fellout when i took it apart and dont remember which way to put it back in.

Re: AV7 head mount pivot spacer

Jordan Guest /

Actually have no idea where it goes. On the decomp? What keeps it from falling.

Gary Cravens /

PICTURES

You talking about the two spacers to center the engine correctly. These spacers are stepped so that the narrower 4mm portion fits into the upper mount boss on the back of the cylinder head.

The external portion of the step is the spacer to center the engine correctly, the left is 41014 which is 6mm thick and right side is 19887 which is 1.5mm thick. Later engines used 41014 on both sides and the silentblocs were offset to make up the difference.

If you have the thick one on either side of the motor you can either try to off set the silentblocks or shave the right side spacer and add a couple of washers as a spacer to the other side. 5/16 washers are usually loose enough or if not just ream them slightly with a drill bit to give then a snug fit to the engine bolt.

EngineSpacers.JPG

Jordan Guest /

Kinda feel like an idiot. Saw what it was when I looked at my frame. Thanks reb it was, however, not set even so I had to use some washers. Get it set up tomorrow and see if I managed to not fuck up.

Time to time everyone runs into knowing that the "whatthefuckyoucallit" is missing or maybe wrong or what???

Jordan Guest /

Yea well finally got it all together and it kicked up! For a second before the variator bell and flywheel fell off... Need to get that hose clamp to tighten them up right. Also it smelled unusual. Could be oil burning off. Idk only ran a second.

Jordan Guest /

So tightened everything and it started to kick up and then backfired bad. Sounds like a bad air leak popping when trying to start. Guessing it's the case gasket, but I'm not sure. Hope it's not the seals they installed very easy. Used ones I bought from a bearing store since it didn't have the metal sleeve. I'll have to take it apart again I guess. Damn.

Russell Huddy /

Check your timing

Jordan Guest /

Omg it was the timing! Checked it again and set it to 1.5mm. Or best I can using a ruler. It will run if I hold the throttle and it doesn't run well. Barely started variating. It also won't idle. I'm going to mess with it more when I get home. Any ideas? Still bad timing?

Jordan Guest /

Using a NGk b6hs gapped correctly. External condenser though it's possible it could have came loose as I haven't soldered it yet. I think points are gapped right since I checked it multiple times when rebuilding it. I'll check that again. The points do close properly and cleaned. It could be my carb. Think there is a 52 jet in it and not much fuel was on the plug. Just looking for ideas so I can actually ride.

I use the NAK SC seals from an industrial supplier, they work properly on Mobys. You did put them in with the garters facing out - right?

What carb?

SHA14:12 #53

SHA 14:14 #55 or #56

SHA 15:15 #59 to #62 (gets finicky)

Jordan Guest /

I got these seals from a local bearing shop. Yea i read your many post about installing the seals. I used the socket method and it was almost too easy. i guess since they dont have the metal sleeve. Im using a 14.12 sha. There was some crap floating around in it so i think i didnt get all the rust out of the tank. It ran great with starter fluid. That or my self made shim isnt right bc before it started it made a big pop noise and somehting flew out from it.

photo (11).JPG
photo (12).JPG

Jordan Guest /

i couldnt find the nak seals anywhere and there is no industrial supply in my town.

Something flew out from ???

Those seals in the picture will do the job properly. The rubber to aluminium seals will work excellent and yes are a lot easier then steel to press in.

Jordan Guest /

Some aluminum that I used for the shim at the intake manifold. I put an o ring in the sha and it's making a good seal now. Actually got it running now but won't idle. Gas is dirty and I'm taking care of that. However when fully variated it grinded on the swing arm. Scared the shit out of me. Also won't stay running on low rpms or idle. Messing with the idle screw and trying a 52 jet instead of 54. Also seemed louder then I thought it would be and was very hot after running for a minute. Gonna try some washers for the bottom mount to fix the grinding problem.

No idle and running hot - check your ignition timing - you would want the initiation to be at 1,5mm BTDC.

Jordan Guest /

Would an air leak in the carter cause it to not idol? I keep resetting the timing and it getting better. Starts in one kick now. So I think I'll keep trying the timing. Check my plug wires again. Also might be a intake leak so I'm getting a proper shim. 1mm I believe. I had no idea how much work this would be. Especially in kentucky weather. Can't tell if engine is hot or just sun baked

Tptwo Tptwotwo /

Diagrams made during disassembly are very helpful.

Jordan Guest /

Yea I already been through that mess. Just hoping I don't have to do it again.

If it starts on one kick then just get your idle up to like 1k and you should be set.

A air leak will make the idle drop off, just put an oring between the carb and the intake and that should seal it properly.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account