79 Express Brake Light

Richard Martin /

The other day the brake light came on full and would not shut off.

I performed the following:

1. Opened the headlight bucket and disconnected both the black wires as well as the green/yellow wires that lead to both brake light switches. Still on bright.

2. Disconnected the green/yellow lead under the gas tank. STILL on bright.

My only other option is to believe it's a failed bulb...

I believe the bulb should be 2 parallel wires inside it not touching one another. When I took it off, the higher one is now split and touching the lower one and fused in the shape of a Y. My guess is this is my issue... however, as a back up I thought I would ask and get some more opinions on it.

Also... anyone know the bulb type for the back brake? I know it's a 6v25/5.3W... more looking for what would I go pick up at the local auto store to replace it with...

Thanks!

Re: 79 Express Brake Light

The brake lever switch could be stuck. If look at the brake handles you will see a button that the lever pushes against to turn the brake light on and off.

Richard Martin /

Express Way Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The brake lever switch could be stuck. If look at

> the brake handles you will see a button that the

> lever pushes against to turn the brake light on

> and off.

I pulled the screws and disconnected the levers. The switches are designed as "depress for off". They both were free floating and in good order.

HOWEVER - as a double check, I removed the switches from the system (see #1 above) so both brake switches were forced in the OPEN position. So I cannot believe this was a brake switch issue.

Hi Richard,

I have a 78 Express. Your rear bulb is sort of an odd critter. It's a 6 volt 32/3cp, dual filament. I found mine at Bike Bandit (www.bikebandit.com). Their part number is 636113. I think you are right. Sounds like your bulb is way out of whack, and basically shorted out so it stays bright all the time.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account