yamaha qt50

Witness Protection /

I just bought a 79 qt50. Acoording to a website it's a 79. Anyway, someone disabled the key ignition and I was wondering if I need the battery. I read that the battery just gave extra "juice" for cold starting. Does it have anything to do with the lights and signals, etc? I'll have to look for a manual as I want to get it tagged and I guess I'll need all those things to work.

Re: yamaha qt50

oh.

battery's help smooth and regulate everything, keep consisten lights idling etc. but you dont need it.

Witness Protection /

Thanks, I'm having fun so far. I need to trace the wires as I have no rear light (faint brake) and no rear turns. Front turn only blink on high rpm's. A little hard to start, choke cable seized. Once you get rolling, wants to idle at 12 mph. A little erratic with a higher idle on kickstand after warming up. Sounds like a battery might solve the turn signal only on high rpms? Only one beam of headlight, think it is low.Key switch disabled, probably problems with that butchering.

Witness Protection /

put a battery on it, helps to make the front turn signals flash at low rpms. have the brake light, but not the tail light. no high beam, only low. disassembled my rear turn signals, both corroded. is it a good chance that my headlight and tail light are both bad or is it more than coincidence that I have no running rear light and no high beam? I guess I'll start with re-wiring rear turn signals. still idles too high after it warms up.

i have the manual for $10.00 dollars and you right

the battery only for juice and lights to started with out

key just unplug the ignition cables and will start

Witness Protection /

so you don't have choke cable? is that ten dollars shipped? are you selling other parts? I may be interested in other stuff.

Witness Protection /

is that a sevice manual or an owners manual? is that shipped? need headlight and tail light bulb and choke. I know you don't have these but maybe someone else will.

im pretty shure you don't need the battery, your lights might be dimmer when stopped though.

Batt not required, have heard it helps with lighting, service manual is avail for free on moped riders association website, fill your printer, that thing is BIG. My wires are butchered, I only have headlamp. Batt avail for 19.99 at batteries plus outlets, it is not in their comp, but is in the book they have.

Please don't pay for the manual it's a free download. Pm any qt50 related questions ya have; I got ya covered like a rug.. I have 3 qt50s right now and have had many more. 2 are blasters and one is showroom condition stock. Holla if ya need help

You will pop your bulbs without a battery if you run it long enough. Unhook the key switch and put a toggle switch on the accessory leads on from the harness of your old key switch. This way you can turn your accessory lighting on when you are riding and off when your not so your battery wont die. Then just use the kill switch thats mounted on the throttle to kill the ignition.

Whoever owned your bike before popped the running light on your taillight and one of the beams on your headlight because they didn't run a good battery. Buy an 1157 bulb for your taillight and make sure you run the beam that is working. If you have a good battery hooked up they won't pop.

Some do some don't. Most i've seen are burnt out. Play it safe and buy a battery.

Nick

Witness Protection /

when I bought it. the switch was disabled and wires bunched up from the switch. I paid for a used switch, waiting for it. I had installed a battery almost immediately as I thought turn signals were dim. isn't 1157 a 12V bulb? I put one in briefly and it was dim, which I figured should not have even been on w/o engine running? can't I remove the existing headlight bulb (sealed beam) and rig in a modern scooter 6V bulb (I saw one w/ 3 prongs)? I had to soak rear turn signals in "the works" to get them to operate, no ground.

The battery will power all the lights except the headlight when the bike isnt running. Yes, they will seem a touch dimmer if your battery isn't holding a good charge. I run an 1157. Yes its 12v but it helps soak up the extra juice if you have a weak battery rather than blowing your taillight bulb. It doesn't affect the headlight.

I have extracted the stock qt50 sealed beam bulb and replaced it with an auto headlight bulb single element to get by before. Normally I just repair the sealed beam headlights with a new 25/25w 6v bulb. So you have a factory headlight. Not something that fits janky and rattles.

Rear blinkers, take off the lens and there will be a 14mm nut in there. Loosen that and re-tighten it. Normally on a qt50 that's been sitting, that's where you will lose your ground.

Nick

THIS! You will blow bulbs without a battery, even if the battery is dead it will act as a regulator.

Witness Protection /

I had to put the QT on back burner as everyone with a jet ski came by for the big upcoming holiday. I hope to get back to it next week.I am wiring the used switch, replacing the choke cable and breaking the solder and installing a normal headlight bulb.Did I mention that I put an 1157 in the tail light and it came on w/o engine running?

Yes if taillight comes on without the engine running then your battery has life.

What kind of skis you talking? I run a superjet.

Nick

Witness Protection /

but you wouldn't want that light on all the time , would you? battery would die? I thought it would come on when engine runs like the headlight. of course, I am re-wiring a new ignition switch soon (key one).And then breaking solder on headlight and rigging in a new sensible bulb. I tested it with a 9v dry cell battery and could not get it to light high beam, unless I performed that incorrectly? also, what is proper oil capacity? 500 ml?

ブロック 666 /

QT50 trans is 300cc on a drain and refill and 350cc on a dry transmission.

Witness Protection /

everyone seems to be hooked on sea doos and 951 motor most popular. this is reed plate instead of rotary valve. I don't own any skis, but would probably go with Kawasaki or Arctic cat. Yamahas easiest to work on overall, wet jet was the least durable. sea doos need the most work by far. polaris (95 sl 750) was an excellent unit, then the company went off the deep end and out of business. new honda 4 stroke has the best sounding engine, exudes confidence. I would buy the old kawasaki 650 sc in a heartbeat, one of a kind, like the AMC Pacer, just as practical, but I LOVE them! my favorite of all time

Witness Protection /

I wired in my new switch. now the tailight blinks with the turn signals????? is this right? I melted the solder out of that stupid headlight and am engineering a $2 chinese bulb into it. can't see the $ 95 price for oem!!!

i only have the owners manual for $10.00 i got a paypal account

Witness Protection /

I'm looking for shop repair manual, with this piece of flotsam, I'll need one!

Witness Protection /

thanks for heads up on manual. turn signals make tail light blink, if it bugs me too much, I'll take them off and sell them. I think the rpm level raising was just sucking air at the carb, screw was loose. same thing always said about me as well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account