Does Urban Express = NU50 M-C Runaway?

Seems gaskets are expensive, at least from what I've seen. If postage from this UK ebay seller is cheap enough, I'm wondering if this will fit my 1982 Urban Express Deluxe. Listing is in UK for a 1982 to 1985 NU50 M-C Runaway. I Googled for pics, and they look just like the Urban Express, but I know that looks can be deceiving....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260575163251&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

If that doesn't format correctly above, I've tinyURL'd it:

http://tinyurl.com/7hpv5pw

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Does Urban Express = NU50 M-C Runaway?

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

yeah same bike, try bike bandit for gaskets keep the money in the US

yea keep the money in the US because the global economy would be horrendously upset by you spending 18 US Dollars in Great Britain.

Urban express is the NU50's name in the US, Runaway was its name overseas. NU50=NU50. You can get specific NU50 gaskets, OR if you just need topend gaskets you can use ones from the honda hobbit (PA50) as well. including the intake gasket. The NX50 has the same gaskets the whole way through.

OR even cheaper you can use hondabond/yamabond/permatex sealer for the case halves. You can also make your own gaskets out of gasket paper, trace and cut, with the exception of the head gasket which you can reuse or omit entirely.

Thanks for the tips. I definitely would spend with a U.S seller as long as the price is right. And, it is good to know that I can improvise on the case gaskets if I need to.

I basically have this bike tore completely down and need to get it running again. It needs a full carb kit for sure. The fuel petcock leaks too, so I'll need address that. And, I need to replace piston and rings with possibly a bore. Not sure yet. This thing hasn't been run since about 1989 and has about 3K miles on it.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

don't waste your money on a bore by the time you get it bored & os'd parts it's gonna cost 200 + bucks. kit it with 60-70cc. check the manual on stock bore specs and see if its within specs, maybe you can get by with new rings and a hone. carb kit?? what do you mean? they aren't available anymore. maybe I seen some in UK but they were made of gold according to the prices. wheres the petcock leak? if it just doesnt shut off fuel, get an inline shut-off at autoparts stores $4. as long as you have it tore down replace the crank seals.

By Carb kit, I meant gaskets, seals, internals that need replaced.

I've considered getting one of those oversize kits. But, I'm not sure if I'm keeping this beast once I get it running or whether I'm selling it right away. I might try a re-ring and hone and see where that gets me.

Tony

Pull the head and cylinder first. 3k isn't much and the oil injection system is always overoiling anyway probably doesn't need anything. If its stuck break it loose and clean up the rust and run it.

as for the carburetor. The important things being the float bowl rubber gasket, the float itself ( hopefully plastic ), and the float needle, the rest can be cleaned up you can maybe buy them individually somewhere. Or go to a local motorcycle shop with the carburetor and they can find you a needle.

I've already pulled everything apart and I managed to lose the piston pin clips, so I'll need to get those. The rings were pretty crusty, but might clean up fine.

I put the bike completely back together just to make sure I hadn't lost any parts. Only missing two screws for the air filter cover!

I'll take a look at the carb again. It has been a few years since I took it apart. It had been sitting for over 20 years before I took it apart. You can imagine what gasoline looks like after that long sitting in a carb.

Tony

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account