General 5-star Wiring?

I just picked up a General 5-star with a Minarelli engine. I cant get a spark on the plug. I checked the points and they close and are clean. I am using a new plug. Can anyone tell me whether lights and things not working are related to not getting spark on this ped? Right now there is no battery on it. I imagine all the lights run off the battery? Any wiring diagrams anywhere for this moped? Any help is appreciated.

Re: General 5-star Wiring?

Darrell Gabbard /

moped riders assoc. has a manual posted check the wiring diagram thats in the manual with the sachs engine but you can hard wire to check for spark. red to ht coil/ kill switch and ground the blue wire to frame

I think it may be an issue that the diagram is for a step through. Are there any diagrams for a top tank 5-star?

I can tell you that I have a Lazer, which was just about identical to the general 5 star, it was a top tanker, looked JUST like it. (ALso with the Minarelli V1.)

I have NO lights or anything hooked up at this point, but it will still start up and run. Blue wire from the magneto to the ignition coil and thats it so far.

.if it works like most motorcycles, the lights would run off the battery and the charging system would keep the battery charged....but all I see in the V1 service manual is the wording that the low voltage coil making 6 volts @ 23 watts to run the lights.

I dont wanna hijack your post so I will make my own post -- I have some electrical questions as well.

Darrell Gabbard /

most minarellis have 3 wires that come out of the stator assembly

red = HT coil/kill switch

black = head,speedo, and rear running light

blue = ignition ground via the brake circuit

now to check for spark all you need is the red wire hooked up like i listed and take the blue wire and ground it to the frame, it doesnt get any easier than that.

I have it all hooked as stated, and I am still getting no spark. Where should I start to troubleshoot this. Thanks for the help.

Should I remove the flywheel? Its really hard to see things with it on there. I tried to clean the points. I'm not sure how to diagnose where the problem is.

So I assuming the only two wires I need to worry about are the ride wire and the blue wire exiting the stator plate? Has anyone ever had issues with the key switch?

Darrell Gabbard /

i would take off the flywheel to see whats up and see if the points are any good

♣Slew Foot♣ /

chart, procedure.

Magneto-Wires-Chart1-591x800.jpg
Wiring-of-Ignition-Ext-Int-Ground-600x658.jpg

Thanks guys. This helps, I am going to get into it some more tonight. If I need to I'll take some pics. Hopefully I'll get it sorted out tonight.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account