Noob... Puch maxi

I picked up a 77 puch maxi (W/1 speed) yesterday riding on flats hit about 25mph or so, down hill about 30mph. Then any sort of incline it would bog to the point I had to wait her get off and push or pedal it. As far as engine mods go it has a delorto carb which a I rejetted to a 60. I was riding with a buddy whose motobecane 50v with similar mods blew me away. Just looking for a starting point on how to get it running properly.

Some ideas I've had are

Transmission

Clutch plates

Should also note that when on the stand it revs to about 7-8k or so and sounds like the motor may have been jugged but not sure

Re: Noob... Puch maxi

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

You should look at clutch tuning in the wiki. Also the transmission consists of 1 gear.

Frank Stewart /

Checked carb it is a 14 12 dellortoL

You shouldn't double post, it makes you look bad.

Kit the bike and then down gear it and tune the clutch and you might beat a 50v on hills. So either get used to it or get busy.

Frank Stewart /

Great thanks for the insight...also someone had suggested to post in the repair section as well. but point taken. as far as beating the 50V i just want to be able to make it up hill right now then baby steps from there!

was the kit hard to install?

Yeah then start with the clutch. Its a centrifugal clutch and you can tighten up the springs to make it grab later. I used a fishers scale to make sure each shoe is opening at the same time. That will help some also a new pipe will help quite a lot in combination with the clutch tuning.

No kitting the Maxi isn't hard, just take your time and follow the wiki. The problem is you will have to upgrade the crank once you get that tuned to its peak and that is hard. Just do the clutch and the pipe and save up some dough for a new crank and kit if you still need more power.

Frank Stewart /

Funks net. Thank you very much for the help!

Ordered my clutch and I am saving for the kit and crank.

I gotta 79 maxi and I get 15 - 20mph on relatively steep inclines and 38 on a perfect flat. Hill starts aren't great though, I only get 10 - 15 from a stationary half way up.

What I did was:

High compression head,

Techno Boss pipe,

14mm bing with 64 size jet,

Down geared the front sprocket to a 12,

Removed the filter plug and 2 inch grey pipe on the air box,

Find an used a #24 throttle slide ( t has groves and holes cut in it to play with the fuel/air mix at low revs that compensates for the low end being poo on that gearing),

It's my daily commute and it does nicely in London traffic...now the trouble is getting caught on speed cameras, but they're kinda special trophy's really....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account