points arching at every rpm

ian van opijnen /

tonight while riding with my flywheel cover off i noticed that my puch e50s points are arching 2-4 times per second no matter what rpm and im not sure exactly how to troubleshoot what the issue is, i have a voltmeter though.

from what ive gathered it could be the points themselfs, the condenser (most likely) and or spark plug wire. whats the best way to troubleshoot whats going on? should i just replace all of the above? points are clean and gapped at .018. ive also had problems with this engine not revving out fully and having low power in the high rpms. is this why? other then that it idles perfect and runs really well except for the revvs

Re: points arching at every rpm

poor condensor ground maybe?

high resistance in the secondary ignition, coil, wire, plug would be my second guess.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the feeler foot on the points is too far worn and it only opens the bare minimium and doesn't close all the way so it arcs.

First change out the condenser.

^cam follower could be worn beyond limits as well

ian van opijnen /

I'll check all grounds for resistance with my dmm. I won't have time to go out this week, should I just order a condenser off treats? Or go try and find a old

VW condenser from the late 60s next week? If the cam follower is worn... I should just get points right? Or can I just buy a follower?

Get new set of points if the cam follower is or may be worn down. The follower is the plastic or phenolic part which rides on the cam.

Get a VW or mid1960 GM 6 cylinder condenser (Standard DR60) and mount it external to the genny and clip the old wire to the old condenser. Splice the new condenser into the wire going from points to ignition coil.

I agree with everyone on the ground and/or condenser.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account