1980 SACHS moped acting up after replaced condenser

Anahata Sahasrara /

Hey! So I'm having some problems with my 1980 Sachs sundancer - before it would run for about 20 minutes or so before it would kind of kill and not be able to start up again for another 30 minutes - I figured it was a condenser issue so I just replaced it - but now it's been running weird. It's been running really rough and after it stalled out again I checked out the spark plug and it was thick with carbon - a problem it did not have previously. I messed with the idle screw a bit to see if it helped and it did very little for it - it's still running really rough and shoddy and I can't figure out why. By the way - I should mention that I did kind of a crappy soldering job on the condenser the first time around (it ran just fine after that) and it kinda came undone because the flywheel hit it, so I re-soldered it (did a better job this time) and now I'm having these problems. I know that was long winded - any advice?

Re: 1980 SACHS moped acting up after replaced condenser

Overpriced Parts /

Ruined timing/point gap?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the wire got piched and the insolation stripped away arcing at speed it is.

I have a 82 columbia commuter and I mounted a exterior condensor and have had great luck for 2 years and thousands of miles, make sure you have the rubber gromits on the crankcase for flywheel or make your own,drill out a small rubber stop,or run the wires through fuel line.

I think the easiest solution is getting the za50 cdi unit (~$70 on treat), flip the coils on the stator, relocate the ground to the front of the coil with one of the old coil bolts, and be riding half an hour after the parts arrive

my '80 sachs prima has been running great with this cheap cdi, 70cc athena, black pipe, and 18mm bing

does sound like it's probably arcing. you might be able to see it, probably easily at night.

that cheap cdi works, so does an external condensor. external condensor is $6 and requires no waiting if theres an autoparts store near you (use an old 6v from old VW's, wire it in parallel with the power wire to the HT coil)

those cheap CDI's are crappy though. you will probably have to do as much or more upkeep with that. I've seen probably 10 of em used and every one fail in some fashion. but then again, every one i've fixed too. so whatevsies.

i say repair before replace though. find your short.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account