Threads are on cylinder are stripped

So I have an aluminum 70 cc cylinder and one of the threads is dripped out where the exhaust meets. Can I just tap it out with a tap and dye set to fix it? Because its stripped I can't get the exhaust tite enough to stop air from leaking, and I think this is keeping me from being able to tune iny new carb.

Re: Threads are on cylinder are stripped

Weld it shut and re-tap it with a bottoming tap, of course after drilling to size.

Heli-coil.??

Yeah man this sucks so much. Do you know where I can get the stuff to weld the aluminum? Also do you know what the name of its called.

Drill and recap with a M8

So your saying I don't need the tap and dye, just drill and drive a bigger bolt in?

Overpriced Parts /

Drill and tap for M7-M8

Bobby,

Buy the tap and drill at a local hardware store. However, I advise you to add a 64th to the drill size. Having a complete set is great but if the exhaust is the only thing you are doing then it doesn't pay to invest in a set of taps n dies.

You know how to tap? Try to go in as straigh as possible and not wobble the tap as it can break. Give a slight turn then back off.

One of my hobbies is building stationary steam engines.

Ask and I will help you as best I can,

Rob

bring the cylinder to a motorcycle shop and have them helicoil it for you. They will drill it, cut bigger threads, then insert stainless steel threads that will work just fine.

^ i had my moto cross mechanic buddy helicoil my k-star intake bolt holes

no problems, have been running this kit reliably at home and at rallies.

Its really not that hard to do yourself either but the helicoil kits can be a bit pricey.

tapping for a bigger bolt would be cheaper

either way you have to drill and tap. helicoils just bring the thread and bolt size back to the original size...

when tapping make sure to go slow, straight, and super clean. there are plenty of you tube videos out there that demonstrate both techniques

heli coils kits can be purchased at mcmaster carr. sometimes auto parts stores have them in limited sizes (usually they are referred to thread repair kits)

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

Whatever you do, don't try and weld that aluminum yourself.

No why it's a bitch?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account