Morini M1 hardwire... this should be easy right?

Joseph Gummer /

So I just hardwired my M1 (went off my experience from doing several e50s) and now I don't have spark...

Before I hardwired I already had the external condenser hooked up and everything was working fine until I started having some ignition problems. (I removed the original condenser and soldered appropriate wires on the stator back together). So I figured I would hardwire since my wiring setup was kind of janky to begin with. Anyways, here's what I did... this should be correct, no? Points have been cleaned... I dont understand why there is no spark...

Morini M1 Hardwire by jgummer, on Flickr (edited)

Re: Morini M1 hardwire... this should be easy right?

Darrell Gabbard /

because its wired wrong. pull the flywheel off and ID the wires and where they come from and remember you dont have an ignition ground hooked up off the mag coil. so your red wire is correct. the black wire is correctas it powers the head speedo and tail light. your green wire on my ped would be blue so thats your Ignition ground via the brake circuit. if you ground that to your frame you should have spark. remember its an Italian ped

Try grounding green, Joe. I think it's one of those "your moped broken if your tail light broken dude" deals.

On my Malaguti red is ignition, black is horn, and green goes to all lights...

Darrell Gabbard /

thats why you have to take the flywheel off and trace back the wires from their starting point either the mag coil or the light coil. mag coils have a 2 wires one side of the coil has a short wire thats soldered on the condensor and the other side is usually grounded via the brake circuit. there is not a standard color code for mopeds. each mfgr has its own

Joseph Gummer /
jagg OP

Just looked at the original Morini Wiring diagram, looks like the green wire is the lighting coil, does that mean I should ground black and hook up green to both head and tail lights?

try it duh :-P

Joseph Gummer /
jagg OP

fuggin AAAAaaaa, tried both combinations... and neither worked

Did you get this working?

I just did mine, since the last owner had all the wiring hacked up and twisted together every which way!

Red to the R side and Green to the ground as well as using another wire to go from the ground terminal to the ground on the frame.

Black is the hot lead for lighting (grounded to frame)

Joseph Gummer /
jagg OP

No, unfortunately I actually haven't gotten it running yet... could you explain that again? kind of confused

Darrell Gabbard /

there are only 2 wires that you need to produce spark. take off the flywheel and look at the wires that you need. now buy looking at a known good stator i would say the red is hooked up to the HT coil/kill switch and the bottom of the mag coil is green or blue thats your ignition ground/ brake circuit so ground it to the frame directly to test or hook it up to the brake switch wire. and if you have no spark then either your points are constantly oped not allowing a charge or the points are not opening to trigger the pulse

Joseph Gummer /
jagg OP

what would cause the points not to open? I know you can set the gap on puch (Bosch) points, but on these CEV points it doesn't look like you can change them at all. The only thing I have done recently is clean the points...

Joseph Gummer /
jagg OP

Second try, this is what I have now... still not working

Morini M1 Hardwire (2nd try) by jgummer, on Flickr

you are certainly able to adjust point gap on the cev setup on morini's. There is a screw that you loosen to pivot the points just like on a puch.

Darrell Gabbard /

you need to take the flywheel off to inspect the points and to make sure that the traveler is not broken or worn down and that the wires are indeed hooked up correctly on the stator plate.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account