maxi=no spark

trying to get the maxi running...i read about the blue/blk horn wire being a culprit...the po had some kind of after-market cateye light and turn signal rigged up and i've disconnected and removed that...as far as i can tell it was drawing juice off a yellow wire that went to lights/horn

what would be the easiest way to get a spark to this thing w/o disconnecting everything?

in other words, i think it's ready to fire but just won't...how do i ground out the blue/blk? can i disconnect the horn tie 'em together and call it a day?

thx

Re: maxi=no spark

yup, ground it. to anything. blue/black wired to ground. yippee

thx...i'll give it a shot...

nope...i don't even have a blue/blk wire...the wiring block seems to be a little "different" but in tracing back stuff it seems pretty much right...all the wiring diagrams show a 7 pair block and mine has 5??? it's a '76 tho so maybe they changed after that...anyway the blue/blk appears to be purple and i don't seem to have a button for the horn anyway...

I pulled the flywheel cover off thinking the points might be jacked...i think they are because as i rotate the flywheel they don't ever make contact with each other...that is really wrong isn't it? not sure wheree to start with that????

help!

Your points need adjustment, loosen the screw and set the point gap to 0.015mm. I think thats the point gap I forget. Look it up you lazy dog :)

You won't have spark if the points arent closing. Easy fix though.

I'm having 5 wire Bosch issues myself, but yeah your points should be closed most of the time and open just before TDC. I think that is why you have no spark. Also you have an internal ignition ground.

Overpriced Parts /

They maybe rusted open

yep...i admit the lazy part just needed confirmation...not rust...this thing has 336 miles on it...it looks brand new...just won't start. i'll gap 'em tomorrow and set the timing to 16-18mm...thanks all i'll let you know if i have an epic fail...

Overpriced Parts /

Set gap about 17 thousand

update...released the stop screw on the points...they fell right into place...gap and timing looked like they were good...got sparky...yeah!...no gas going to carb...took it off, cleaned with carb spray, banjo bolt and the port to the float were totally gummed...new fuel line....fired right up!!!

this thing hadn't been started in at least 8 years...i'm thinking more like 30 years...the gas was left in there and just evaporated into a sludge...gonna clean tank, new tranny fluid, petcock....runs like a new bike...thanks for your help...really

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account