Replacing stock Puch switches with toggles

I Look Like Shit /

i have a mini-dash thing with three spots kind of like this:

as both my stock switches are busted up, i want to route everything here, probably two toggles on the left for lights/kill and a button on the left for horn... here is my question though:

i have two toggle switches laying around that fit perfectly with three settings (middle, up and down) and three connectors for the lights/kill... looking at the wiring diagram, its pretty clear that a two-connector switch would work fine. how should i wire the three connector toggles though? or should i just go find a different toggle?

also what would anyone in the know recommend for a horn button? gotta hit radio shack anyway... im learning this electrical stuff very slowly so i appreciate any help

Re: Replacing stock Puch switches with toggles

I Look Like Shit /

?

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

?

I Look Like Shit /

O_o

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

ಠ_ಠ

I Look Like Shit /

ok i found that 2-prong or 3-prong is fine for kill switch but having trouble figuring out what to do with headlights/horn.... all stock wiring...

I Look Like Shit /

i mean...

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

If the switch has three prongs it is a single pole, double throw switch. There can be a few different types of this switch. A two position would be an on-on switch. Your line voltage would go to the center, and the two outer prongs go to to different load circuits. Then you can switch between two different functions.

A three position switch can be either on-off-on, or on-on-on. The first type controls two different load circuits, with the option of turning the works off in the center position. The second type will run either load circuit individually in its respective position, and both in the center.

I Look Like Shit /

that helps a lot actually, especially now that im looking at the wiring schematics... i was assuming that, to replace the lights/horn, i could get a three prong/three position toggle to mimic the three position switch that came stock, and run the horn wire to another button... then i looked and there are five wires on the stock switch, so it threw me for a bit of a loop. i really dont understand how im so fuckin dumb with wiring

I guess I'm curious as to why you would want a horn that you can't reach quickly. I would say just mount a momentary switch on the bars for the horn.

I Look Like Shit /

i pretty much only use the horn when im outside someones house/apartment to let them know im there lol... i live in a pretty small town, havent used the horn in my car even once in a year...

I Look Like Shit /

bump... should i get two prong or three prong toggle for stock lights....?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account