77 Solo Odyssey spark

I just got a Solo Odyssey and I can't get it to spark. It is a Bosch 5 wire stator with external secondary coil. I took the spark plug cap off and held the wire 1/4 inch away from the head and no spark, had the wire almost touching the head and got a tiny spark. Tried different spark plug wires, filed and cleaned the points and still nothing. From the wiki Columbia wiring diagram it seems only the blue(hot) and green/black(ground) have to do with spark. Anything else need to be grounded? Maybe its a faulty kill switch?

Re: 77 Solo Odyssey spark

Patrick Keaton /

Get a flash light and look at the breaker points. My Solo engine has worn out breaker points. I took a screwdriver or something, and scraped against both sides of the breaker points, and it ran for a short time. I filed the breaker points before that, but the breaker points were so wore out, it did not help.I think it was just one side of the breaker points that are wore out.

just for laughs, run a ground from the green wire at connector 2 to ground then retest for spark.

this should bypass any brakelight issues and is a simple test.

also, make sure the coil has a bullet proof ground to the motor.

Kevin Hurt /

My points look worn but not worn out, but maybe I should replace them. And on the wiring for the Columbia, It shows a blue and a black wire coming out of the kill switch. I have a blue and white. I thought the white hooks up to the stop light switches.

NoISy BOyS KEV /

i'll sell you an engine for 50.00... I bought it off a running bike then sold my solo. If nothing more, at least you will have a parts engine... :)

Kevin Hurt /

@Glenn, I grounded the green wire and still no spark, but thanks for the tip. And the secondary coil is grounded good to the frame.

@Kevin, I got the moped for $50 so I'll try and get this one running, but I'll keep your engine in mind if I can't.

I think I'm going to try an external condenser today. Do I need to remove the internal one and splice the wires that went to it together?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I'll check out on how to check for spark later tonight. Usually Solo/Bosch electricals are fool proof. It has to be something simple. I wouldn't mess with the condenser yet. I have never had a condenser failure. There are subtle differences between the Solo/Columbia wiring diagrams.

if you are using the solo columbia wiring diagram from the wiki the green wire feeds the brake switches, light, and horn.

please link if you are using a different diagram.

the white on your kill should be running to a common ground.

Kevin Hurt /

Yeah that's the diagram I'm using. Can I ground the white kill switch to the bars or do I need to ground to the coil?

if the white isn't grounded, you lose the kill switch function, it grounds out the ignition, so ground anywhere.

Kevin Hurt /

The white wire is grounded to the bars. Tried grounding it to the coil and still no spark. Should I cut the blue and white kill switch wires to eliminate it.

just isolate from the bars / ground to eliminate.

did you try grounding the brake light feed (green) and checking spark?

can you ohm the points when closed to make sure they don't have high resistance, should be close to 0 ohms to ground when closed.

Kevin Hurt /

yeah tried grounding green and took the kill switch off the bars and no spark. The blue wire is the points wire, I think. Ohms close to zero on blue when points are closed. Can a bad condenser cause weak/no spark when cold?

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Condensor

yes, a shorted condensor could prevent spark.

problem with isolating it (scroll to the bottom of the wiki link) is, 3 circuits off the condensor.

to points, just make sure they're open,

to HT coil, unplug the wire.

to internal stator coil, hmmmmm.

condensor is sometimes soldered, coil may be just grounded thru the mounting screws, or thru the brake switch / light wiring.

internal coil will only have a couple ohms resistance, but a bad condensor could ohm higher, and still ground spark.

i'm not gonna tell you to pull apart your magneto to just test the condensor.

here's a graphing meter testing a condensor's ability to charge, <4 seconds until infinite resistance.

Kevin Hurt /

Well I took the magneto off and unsoldered the condensor. Tested with meter and got slight deflection of the needle, so I soldered it back on. I filed and cleaned the points again and put it back together. Now I have spark! WTF!!! Maybe a bad solder joint, or the points weren't clean enough? Anyway thanks for all the help guys and I hope this gremlin doesn't return to haunt me.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account