getting my batavus running

ok it ran when a drill was used to crank it over, now im trying to get it running by pedaling it. it wont even turn over is my clutch messed up or maybe something else?

Re: getting my batavus running

You are the one pedaling it, is the clutch working? The motor turning over, then yes the clutch is working. Get the clutch actuator working better, they are usually crusty. Mine I just left the cover off and gave it a gentle tap with my foot so the clutch would engage

♣Slew Foot♣ /

tap the arm with a small hammer lightly while holding in the lever make sure its tight and it releases. when you start out, if it stalls at a stop it's sticking. you should carefully dis assemble and clean the entire mechanism.

keep the friction disk safe, do not clean other than a light sanding. you can also roughen the inner sides of the clutch plates to remove any glazing. clean the balls and spring make note of how the washers go when you take it off if your friction disk is running thin you can add rubber sheet between the cap plate and outer plate to

take up some slack and give a little more push.

batavusclutchsection.jpg

Take the clutch cover off (if you're lucky enough to have one) and watch what happens when you pull the starter handle. You should see the plates squeeze together. They won't move much, but they should move.

If the actuator arm doesn't come into contact with the button in the middle of the clutch, you will need to adjust the cable.

Nick Carney /

when i pull the starter handle it is squeezing down, but i dont think it is enough to turn the motor over.

The cable should be adjusted so that there is very little space between the buttons on the arm and the center of the clutch. Just a few mm is fine.

Nick Carney /

well i open it up and it is not prettie alot of rust. i will upload pic tomorrow

♣Slew Foot♣ /

you can probly use this if you do not have it yet

@ a blazing upload speed of 46 kbs

if the bike has the plastic toolbox on the back. you should be nice and mail me the lid. sorta joking.... but it took me 30 min to just upload it. not even adding the time it took assembling it in acrobat professional.

LauraMotor.jpg
batavussm049.jpg

Nick Carney /

well what i think i need it a clutch pad disk.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

you can make three shims out of rubber like the stuff they use to keep stuff from sliding on your handlebars the rubber inner for say a mirrior or bike headlight

cut them into feet that sit between the stud towers in the gaps like spokes wedge between the cap plate and the outer clutch plate it will buy you some time to procure a replacement

i hope you got deep pockets they are surprizingly only commanding premium prices.

currently you could for twice the price find a parts bike with a whole lot more than just a good disk.

thats what i did got another bike with a good one.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account