Mobylette 50v front brake plate rubbing

After recently discovering that my brake pads on my Mobylette 50v were non-existent I've also noticed that the front brake plate (the metal disc that holds the brake pads in place) seems to be rubbing on the outside of the hub causing my wheel to stick in spots. It was to the point where my wheel would lock up or the brakes would not disengage which I suspect was because my brake pads were in such poor condition. (The raised part of the pad had actually completely fallen off.) While the wheel is no longer locking up the rubbing plate seems to be making the wheel sluggish where it comes in contact, the plate is so slightly bent in a few spots that it's almost unnoticeable.

I have 5 star mags and new front brake assembly's seem really hard to come by so I'm just looking for any suggestions on what I can do or if the rubbing could really be caused by the thin metal of the brake plate against the outside of the hub?

Thanks,

-Anthony

Re: Mobylette 50v front brake plate rubbing

Use the correct spacer's, dude...

Look in Buy/Sell forum.

Welcome to MopedArmy....your stay will be noted.

Anthony Heubel /

I've attached a diagram of my problem,

so you're saying put spacers on the axle inside of the hub so when the brake assembly is tightened it isn't pressing too tight against it?

hubdiagram.jpg

yep. it may only need a washer or two...

if it rubs on only part of the plate the axle or plate may be bent. if it rubs all the way around you need to space properly.

Anthony Heubel /

It's only rubbing on one or two parts but the axle seems straight. I'm going to try and slightly bend the plate and I'll probably add some spacers and see if that helps.

to check for bent axle, take off wheel, hold plate and wheel still, rotate axle , watch for plate wobble. to check for bent plate, hold wheel and axle still rotate plate, look for wobble

Anthony Heubel /

there's definitely a little plate wobble

Anthony Heubel /

I assumed that I had 5 star mags but when I actually counted them they were 6 star, which I guess is a type that's really rare and hard to find brake pads for. I was able to track down an entire front hub assembly complete with a new axle, brake plate and pads so the problem is fixed for now. When those pads wear down I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Thanks everyone for the help!

my newport has 10k miles on it and the brake pads are og im pretty sure. they are very work, but sill have enough material on them for a few more k miles.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account