Can't get 14mm variator bolt off the bell. Av7

Trying to get off moby 50v variator. Seems like no matter how much torque I put on it, it won't budge. I'm trying to change the seals and this is keeping me from cracking the carter. I have a puller for once I get it off. Tried heating it with a hair dryer(worked for the wrist pin) and tried wd40. So far nothing. I haven't been able to get to the 5mm nipple to remove it either. Any experience with getting this off easier? (edited)

Re: Can't get 14mm variator bolt off the bell.

I would suppose that is a AV7 you are working on, wrist pin off so obviously the jug is removed and the motor is off the bike.

You can stop the crank from rotating with a 1/2 inch bolt through the small end eye of the con rod and two blocks of wood on each side so the bolt resting on the blocks will stop rotation. Dont use any bolt with a smaller diameter then 1/2 inch or there will be too much stress put on a small area of the eye and it can distort.

Only use a 6 side socket on either 14mm nut or the grease fitting.

You can put a impact gun to the 14mm at this point, use an impact driver on the grease nipple if it is defeating your attempt.

Jordan Guest /

Does the grease fitting have to come off first? Or can I get the 14mm off first since my socket can't reach the 5mm nipple. I'll have to wait to the stores open to get the 1/2 bolt. Thanks reb!

If you don't want to risk damaging the rod, you can use chain style vice grips to hold the clutch and it gives you leverage to pull against. available at harbor freight cheap. they work good on flywheels too! and if I remember right, the grease nipple does have to come out first.

Re: Can't get 14mm variator bolt off the bell. Av7

The grease nipple must come off in order to use the puller, but it does not need to be removed to get off the 14mm nut.

If it is this much of a fight you might find the clutch cover extremely tight and you would need to heat soak the assembly before being able to remove the cover with the puller.

Jordan Guest /

Thanks so much! The wood trick worked great with loads of blaster and heat. The drum is kinda stuck like I expected so it's getting heat soaked now since my puller didn't get it on the first try. On my way to rebuilding now

Jordan Guest /

So while I'm at it I forgot to mark the piston. How do you tell which way it goes on?

Anti rotation Pegs forward.

Jordan Guest /

Which way is forward? This is my first time doing this. I tried to look it up but didnt find anything. I believe the anti lock pegs are for the rings. one of my piston rings doesnt move freely and the other does. Also there is some wear and marks on it. I attached the pictures to see if i need to replace it.

photo (6).JPG
photo (7).JPG
photo (9).JPG

Look in the ring grooves, you will see a pin in each of the grooves, the pins are towards the front of the motor not the back.

If the rings are sticky in the grooves you need to clean the carbon out of the grooves. If the rings look worn or have marks on them then replace them

Jordan Guest /

Why would there be carbon build up on my crank? The Carter's where very dirty with terrible seals. Bearing looked real beat up too. I have my new bearings to install after cleaning crank. Just wondering why it looks so dirty.

Jordan Guest /

Also had no case gasket and every other gasket was very bad.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account