E50 clutch plate problem

Steven Mills /

Ok, rebuilt engine, after a couple hundred miles I start to hear a slight clattering noise while moving, not at idle. I had a problem once where the metal plate that covers the clutch (labeled with a red 1 in the photo below) had some space between it and the clutch and could move around and it would clatter. I figured that's what it would be this time, but when I opened the clutch I found this:

The plate can rotate a tiny bit independently of the clutch plate, and it has gradually beaten up the clutch bell (damage circled in red,) causing even more clearance which explains why it was getting louder. I have never had this problem. How does this happen and how can I fix it?

Thanks! (edited)

Re: E50 clutch plate problem

take off the plate and look on the other side. do you still have the little needle bearing spacer back there? based on the wiggle room between your clutch plate and the snap ring my guess would be it's a simple shimming problem. when the plate is tight against the ring it doesn't move around as much. that being said, generally once a bell has those grooves it will always make a little noise (edited)

Steven Mills /
nev OP

Can you tell me exactly what part that needle bearing spacer is?

shit my bad. it actually goes on the front. i can see you have it on in that photo. it's been awhile since I e50-ed.

Do you have both shim washers on there?

Time for a new clutch bell.

Steven Mills /
nev OP

Yep, I've got both shim washers on there. Its a little loose for my liking but the gap (according to a feeler gauge) is about .005" so I doubt it caused the problem. Maybe its just old.

Steven Mills /
nev OP

But I had those on there.

do you pull the starting clutch sometimes while riding? are you using correct oil and amount?

Mike Boyd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> shit my bad. it actually goes on the front. i can

> see you have it on in that photo. it's been awhile

> since I e50-ed.

>

>

>

> Do you have both shim washers on there?

hmmm poop.

i just put my clutch back on and i had three washers, i was assuming one was for the clutch nut but maybe not?

how much play is the bell supposed to have? i just assumed that only two went in there from the schematic in the puch manual, but it looks like the shims are lots of diff sizes...

Steven Mills /
nev OP

I'm using type F atf, and I don't normally pull the clutch while I'm riding. I noticed that the noise will go away most of the time if I pull the clutch in by a little though.

that happens to all my fast e50's :/

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account