Treats Points Stator on Late A3

Mariano Ulibarri /

Got one of THESE to put on my 90's A3 (black cases). Popped it in but the timing is way off. Do I need to mod this thing to get it to work on this bike?

I've got timing tools (light, micrometer) & am familiar with timing my E50, but have not done much on a Tomos.

Anyone use this setup on a late A3?

Here's the treats part:

puch E50 ZA50 +++ tomos A35 A3 points stator plate

Re: Treats Points Stator on Late A3

I got the same for an a3. havent tried it yet though. should work well for these though, timing should be dependant on your flywheel. so are you using your original a3 iskra flywheel?

if yes and its still off, have you tried rotating it and adjusting the point gap? does that bring it into spec?

Worst cas you could just swap all the parts ove onto your OG stator plate, thus rearranging points placement relative to the flywheel cam

another worst case option is to just pull out the woodruff pin and press fit the flywheel in the proper spot onto the crankshaft taper. that also totally works and I've done it many times, but it's kindof a pain in the ass and moreso if you ever need to pull the flywheel back off - a likely scenario when you have a cheap shitty ignition AND the coil all tucked under there.

Mariano Ulibarri /

Yeah, I'm using the OG A3 Iskra flywheel. It's way off - I can't see that there's any way it'll come close to spec without serious rearrangement. I'm thinking I may just fix up my OG plate & save this for another project.

campeona del mundo /

just run a puch flywheel. should bolt right on and work with the crank perfecto. dremel out the stator mounting holes a little bit. figure out what your timing is at. print out one of those timing tapes on ma and slap it on there and hit it with the timing light! also, find the desired timing you want (can't remember) and rotate the stator to advance/retard. dremel as needed. you may have to run no woodruff key. good luck!

Mariano Ulibarri /

So running with no woodruff would mean torquing the flywheel down hard on the crank, right?

Do the Tomos "dot" woodruffs come off, or would it need to be filed down?

campeona del mundo /

yeah man, use some blue loctite when you get the flywheel positioned perfectly so it doesn't slip. tighten slowly. just pull out the key with pliers

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account