How can I adjust the timing on a Honda Urban Express?

Jake Pearson /

So, in response to my earlier post, my timing was indeed off which was most likely causing my four stroking issue. However, I thought it best to start a new thread, as I have a new, specific question... I hope this is okay with people... If not, my apologies.

So, here it is. My timing is off. but the urban express manual says that the timing isn't adjustable, it just tells you how to check it but claims you can't change it. I didn't see anything in a search, so what does this mean? Can I change the timing, or is it off and just has to be like that from now on? If it's fixable, how would I change the timing to set it right? I saw a post (the one helpful one that came up in the search) that says you can enlarge the bolt holes in the stator to change the timing, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room on mine and seems like the metal would be unhappy with me torquing it down hard enough to make sure it doesn't move anymore.

thank you everyone!

Re: How can I adjust the timing on a Honda Urban Express?

dude your timing should never go out on those. you sure you're checking it right?

also have you tried a new belt yet> it makes worlds of difference on those motors for real real real. like a shitty belt will feel like everything else is wrong

OK back to adjusting timing, yes it's possible. sortof. but not simply. So you basically have to change where the timing pulse occurs with respect to the crankshaft. You can get the stator cover and stator open and pull the stator out and yea either gauge out the mounting holes to allow you to rotate the stator somewhat, or just drill new holes to mount the stator in a different position (x degrees off from where it was to match it up at where your timing should be)

The other option is to take the stator out and take the magneto off, remover the woodruff key and rotate the magneto accordingly and press it back on, but i've never taken the magneto off on those motors and it may not really be easy. I think they use the same flywheel puller as sprees and express SR. not certain tho. that may be the easier option especially since it may have sheared the woodruff key anyway to knock it out of timing. just clean the taper well - i use valve grinding compound between the flywheel and cran ktaper and spin that a while while pressing in to clean and match the tapers, then clean it off and press it on appropriately where the timing lines up rightly. it should also be easier to see when you've got it right. little less durable than the first method though, a little easier to foil.

Jake Pearson /

Sorry to resurrect a kind of old thread.

I finally got the chance to go in and check my timing again today... My flywheel definitely has two marks on it, an F and a T. The manual says that I should take off the little cap on top of the flywheel cover (alternator cap) and check the timing through that window.

Then, it says that the F mark should line up with the notch. My 'T' mark is lining up with the notch almost exactly, and I don't even see the F mark when it's going. Looks like it's firing maybe a half inch along the flywheel too late.

Or is this normal for some reason? The manual says "f", but it seems to be running 'decently' and the t mark lines up almost exactly. May not be a coincidence.

I also tried to drill out my stator mounting holes today, there was only about 1/4 inch of room left before I run out of room. So I drilled it and mounted it maybe a quarter inch off from where it was, but this didn't seem to make an appreciable difference in the timing.

Any help or thoughts? thank you!

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

its rare that the flywheel is off timing on these. Make sure the altenator is good and the cdi, those could be causeing your issues as well. I'll check my timing in the morning to see if theres any diff or any comparison to go by, cant do it tonight.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

I found time to try it, this was my results I couldnt see the mark till I was up in rpm, did you check at 2000rpms also there is a 3 degree offset mine was about 3 degrees after TDC

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account