Changing a front tire should be easy, yeah? Also why did this dude put a giant tire on back?

Michael Dreamboat /

Newb here. 77 Puch Maxi Sport.

The front tire is looking rough, with what looks like chunks of tire waiting to fall off. So I ordered a Sava 17 x 2.25 and a tube that 1977Mopeds said even though the tube says 2.50 it easily fits 2.25.

Hopefully they'll be here by Fri or Sat. So I read the wiki tutorial here

tire change

And I watched a youtube clip. And I read through some threads.

This should be easy, right? Off the top of my head I think for the front tire I just remove the brake cable, a speedomoter cable, and that's about it?

A couple of specific questions though.

1. Do I need levers like some suggest? I know Gazelles are supposed to be notoriously hard to put on, but my Sava should be pretty easy? Could I put it on by hand ya think?

2. I heard soap is a good way to get the tire on. Also maybe leaving it out in the hot sun a bit. The wiki talks about using baby powder. What do you think?

Thought about calling local moped buddy from the forum for help (he helped me install throttle cable cpl weeks ago) but maybe this would be a good first time little project to see through by myself and I shouldn't bother the guy.

Thanks everyone.

(ps, the specs for my moped say both tires should be 2.25 but the previous owner had but a 2.5 on the back, which works decent now but looks like it used to be pretty tight until some sidewall started rubbing away. Is there a performance enhancement achieved by using a fatter back tire on a moped?)

Re: Changing a front tire should be easy, yeah? Also why did this dude put a giant tire on back?

Probably Fred /

I use talc power

Soap when wet can make you tire spin / move on the rim without a rim lock like in the rain bending/ pinching the valve stem.

Re: Changing a front tire should be easy, yeah? Also why did this dude put a giant tire on back?

Michael Dreamboat /

Ahh, maybe I'll stick with some powder then. The wiki says this is an old motorcycle trick.

Salsa Salsa /

I use pedro tire irons and love them!

Michael Dreamboat /

(Casserollers) ∴ Μ Λ Ι Ζ Σ ∴ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I use pedro tire irons and love them!

Just spent the last of my life savings on the tire and tube. I'm hoping the strength of my hands and some good luck will allow me to not use tire irons.

(thought I read somewhere this might be possible with Savas)

Patrick Keaton /

I am over here by 295 and 103rd street, if you want to bring it over here with some protectant, like Armour All, or a generic version of that. Protectant like Armour All, is one of the answers to easy tire installs.

Michael Dreamboat /

I'm in Mandarin. I don't dare take it over the Buckman. Thanks for the offer though. You know Kevin/unkleskeletor? I met him through the forums.

Patrick Keaton /

The Buckman is not the only way to get here, but it might be the fastest. I know Kevin. I thought he would have been the one to help you with the throttle cable.

Salsa Salsa /

Changing a tire without levers just sucks. Its worth it to buy some man. You can do it. But it sucks.

John Warren IhazJawas /

hey man i just bought some levers at the motorcylce shop for $5 a piece do that easier than paying shipping and waiting

Just use spoon or fork handles as levers (not plastic ones or cheapo dollar store ones) and it should go on alright. Use dish soap which hoses off easy once they are installed.

Michael Dreamboat /

UPDATE

Changed it myself. As I thought, theoretically it should have been a piece of cake, and I suppose the steps were, but physically it was kind of a bitch.

Knock on my door early afternoon, I go to see who it is and there is a big ass package from 1977Mopeds sitting there (hey fucking delivery guy don't leave big boxes of shit just laying in front of my door, it's an apartment complex you dumb motherfucker).

I need one more wrench and a place with some air so I ride to work grab a wrench, then ride to a perfect spot. A gas station with cover that's temporarily shut down and still has free air.

In my mind I had planned to take careful note of how the front brake cable was adjusted. I had planned to mark it with some tape but the tape blew away and I just figured I'd try to remember.

The speedometer housing (is that correct term?) was gunked up with grease.

Getting the tire off was kind of hard, but I used screwdrivers to help, as I didn't care if I popped the 20 yr old tube or whatever.

Getting the new tube and tire on by hand was a BITCH. I used talcum powder over the tube, and then put dish soap around the tire, and the first half went on ok, but that 2nd half was hard. The last bit was torture, I thought my thumb was going to tear off. When I finally got it on, I had a huge smile on my face.

Hooked everything back up, had to adjust the brake cable a couple of times. The tire looks skinnier and smaller than the previous one that was on. It's the right size by specs for sure, so not sure what's up with that. It's a Sava, maybe they make them skinnier looking? I don't know.

As soon as I finished putting it on it started to thunderstorm HARD. So can't really figure out any speed difference, but the ride home itself felt decent.

Thanks for all the advice.

John Warren IhazJawas /

i put smaller tires same size though and lost 5mph

Michael Dreamboat /

Jesus

Probably Fred /

I put taller sava's to gain a few mph

And I did

Michael Dreamboat /

wtf guys. you can order them taller and shorter? I just ordered the size the specs said, 17x 2.25

John Warren IhazJawas /

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I put taller sava's to gain a few mph

> And I did

Lucky you nine were barely used from a parts bike my old stocks were so dry rotted i had to change them but cost me some speed maybe xmas ill buy some taller tires

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account