honda express sr. died while running

joseph caresio /

have recently restored 81 express sr. running great for 6 months, driving and engine died slowly lost spark?? felt like I hit the kill switch??? checked plug ok, checked spark, sparks with starter, kill switch works stops spark. haven't pulled carb because it is such a pain on this model, tried starting fluid still wouldn't start or even begin to start although electric starter is working fine??? bad carb? why won't it start with ether, bad cdi coil, why is there still a spark. help

thanks

joe

Re: honda express sr. died while running

Hello Joe,

If you have spark, and the bike was running fine recently, then I'm afraid this sounds like a carb problem. Do you have an inline filter? You might just have to bite the bullet and clean your carb. Here is a nice video by The Mighty Shawn on how to clean out the dreaded and accursed idle circuit.

LINK

That's the tiny pinhole in your carb that always clogs up and will prevent your bike from starting.

You might also want to check your reeds. If they have something stuck in them, like an insect or other debris it could prevent your bike from starting.

Tal Reznikov /

or worst case scenario, its a soft sieze.

its what happened to my tomos.

just felt like it suddenly lost power right? when you where at or near WOT?

joseph caresio /
jjv OP

great suggestions, thanks, it just weird that it won't even act like it wants to start even with ether. I noticed one of my carb maniforld anchor studs was striped and slightly bent and the carb could rotate a bit. I tightened it as best i could, It was pretty snug and still won't start. I take off the carb, ugh.

joseph caresio /
jjv OP

absolutely, WOT and if felt like I hit the kill switch. starter still spins the motor fine and I feel air blowing out the exhaust when the starter is running. What is a soft sieze? Thanks

If you have spark it rules out a bad coil/CDI/or any other ignition faults. Although a spark plug may throw a spark when not in the engine, but under pressure in the cylinder might crap out. try holding the plug a half inch away from the cylinder head when testing for spark, a good plug/ignition system will throw a spark at least that far. If still in doubt, replace your plug.

Now I'm not sure on Sr's but the Express uses a throttle cable that splits in two close to the engine. One side runs the throttle, the other branches off to operate the oil pump. Sometimes this cable can break and poof, you have no oil pump control. Check yours to be sure it's opening the pump like it should. If not you may have seized your engine due to lack of oil.

Second, run a compression check as it sound to me like either a soft seize, meaning ran out of lube and partially fried the rings/cylinder, or that your crank seals may have gone kaput... therfore not getting compression.

joseph caresio /
jjv OP

thanks shawn I'll check the spark later. just checked oil cable and it is fine, throttle needle jet cable was just a bit loose, tightened it seems to work I can feel the cable move inside the cable when I twist the throttle, I'll take the needle jet out and check the throttle cable later today. THe throttle cable adjuster at the handlebars is stripped but that has been the status and it has run and started dependably. New cables are few and far between. Hopefully it is not a soft seize. Seems to move quite a bit of air through exhaust and spins faster without the plug in the cylinder. will check compression. any idea what it should be? will check the spark with a 1/2" gap that is a great idea. I assume if it won't through the spark it is a bad coil? THank you

joseph caresio /
jjv OP

spark ok, tore out the carb, looked ok, main jet, idle jet and needle jets ok, Not good eh? reed valves look ok. sprayed ether into crank, wouldn't start, spayed ether into intake maniford wouldn't start, sprayed into carp throttle body still no start. just about to measure the compression. pray it is the rings, intimidated by a crankase tear down. soft sieze!!!! what the heck.

joseph caresio /
jjv OP

sorry to drag this out but you were right. soft sieze, found a piece of ring on top of the piston, rings shot, cylinder head scored. any thoughts on replacement cylinder piston head upgrade?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account