Puch Maxi Hardwiring

is it necessary to include a regulator in my hard-wiring?

if so... can i combine the yellow and grey out of the light coil and run them through the regulator together via a single wire? then to the tail and headlight?

Re: Puch Maxi Hardwiring

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Yellow and grey come from different coils under the mag. Could cause problems. A regulator isn't a bad idea if yoh're pushing high rpm's. It beats constantly blowing lights.

BERNARD PINK /

so just run yellow straight to the regulator then split off the exit side of the regulator for head and tail lights? should i just ground the grey. on the diagram on moped wiki it says the grey is tail light... is it important to have them separated?

Probably Fred /

Funny all my bikes use the stock harness and all four self regulating coils and I

Need no regulator and my bulbs don't blow .

Did I mention they all are kitted and go at least 9,000 rpm.

I got bright lights at idle too.

In 30 some years of messing with Puch wiring hardwiring is always worse then stock harness and using all 4 coils.

There is no advantage in doing it in

agree with Ken, why do guys want /need to "hard wire"?

Probably Fred /

They do it to have less wires showing when the leave off the side covers, panels, lights, turn signals, fenders etc. for their stripped, dangerous uncomfortable, unpractical bikes they call "builds"

Or maybe to make it easier to troubleshoot electrical issues, and eliminate many of them in the first place. Or to not have a bunch of switches on the bars. And because turn signals are fucking stupid. And mopeds are "unpractical" anyways.

I dunno about you guys but I just absolutely love having turn signals, hi/lo, horn and brake lights on my mk80 LP/ported to hell with a simonini hack n' weld and 30mm OKO...!!!!

Probably Fred /

I only have one bike now that has signals on it and I wish all my bikes had signals. Nothing better then to use lighted signals when the man is on my ass

BERNARD PINK /

this was not intended as a general discussion on the benefits associated of hard wiring versus stock wiring. furthermore, you have no idea what the intended purpose of my vehicle is. next time keep your wisdom up you ass where it belongs... and leave my thread clear for those who wish to help an aspiring builder and not spill their hater-ade all over the interwebz. for those of you with an actual response. thank you.

Probably Fred /

That's the point hardwiring a puch is wrong period.

If it worked good you wouldn't need a regulator or other bullpucky stuff to get it to work right. Oh and do expect blown coil here and there because putting all your lights on one coil will burn it out usually this happens at night with the PO PO behind you

BERNARD PINK /

okay... roffman. your saying that doubling up is what is causing the need for the regulator? i would just go grey to tail, yellow to headlight and blue to ignition? with the exception of not having turn signals, is that the stock wiring? i dont need to attract anymore attention than the kit is going to. i am open to suggestions, but i dont have the stock harness, signals, etc...

Probably Fred /

Maxis and most magnums have no signals so they use 3 coils for lighting ( head, speedo, tail and brake )and one for ignition so just put all the lights on the one big lighting coil and hope for the best

agree with Roffman

why do people hack their bikes up

ignorance about hardwiring is the root cause of most of the hate.

contempt is easier then understanding.

if you don't know why, don't do it

in my experience, too many diagrams don't show magneto internal connections.

similar to having a box of batteries, 2 to 6 wires coming out, with no clue how they are connected inside (polarity, series, etc)

it takes no time to trace out stator wiring, and take notes.

unlike taking a hacksaw to a rear fender, rewiring is a real mod.

case in point: honda bullet connectors.

sounds to me like if you don't know how to fix it right , try some thing else. yeah, you can re-do a flimsy connection but if you go changing the whole schematic,you probably fuck up the engineering.

NO, it's an honest question... I have a 74 maxi. Has yellow, black and grey wires coming out of engine block. Grey goes straight to tail light, yellow goes to handlebar switch which drives front light and horn. My issue is central London traffic REALLY needs indicators. Regular incandescent bulbs draw too much power, so I swapped to led indicators, all great until I get to top rpm's which makes the stator give more than 12v, can get to 16v at WOT doing 38 / 40mph. Over time, the smd/led's burn out one-by-one...I use dome panel smd/led's to get the required level of brightness in both the hedlight, rear light, brake light and all 4 indicators... if I use 24v led's I just don't get the needed brightness...SO I need a regulator/rectifier in the circuit and a pack of 1.5v AA's to absorb the spare juice... good question on the grey+yellow mix... I reckon I should leave the grey to rear, and the power everything else through a 12v reg/rec.. and run fresh wires to headlight, indicators and brake light...

the trail tech dail brightness can have 2 power leads . 1 goes to yellow and the other goes to brown. make sure you ground the regulator good.

if you only have 1 power/light lead that goes to yellow and brown goes to ground.

turn the voltage all the way down and your led`s should hold up. if not get the reg/rectifier lot more money. harder to hook up. but hpi puts out good instructions

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They do it to have less wires showing when the

> leave off the side covers, panels, lights, turn

> signals, fenders etc. for their stripped,

> dangerous uncomfortable, unpractical bikes they

> call "builds"

LOL, I finally clicked this thread. Anymore when I see "hardwiring" in a title, I just pass it by. Too many noobs spewing the "hardwiring" mantra. Surprised to see the majority saying don't do it.

Bernie said,

furthermore, you have no idea what the intended purpose of my vehicle is. next time keep your wisdom up you ass where it belongs...

Yeah, we don't know your intended purpose, because you fucking didn't tell us your intended purpose. If you don't want responses, don't start threads. Looks like your wisdom is up your ass.

BERNARD PINK /

First off: if you skipped this for so long, why start now? to give some lame props to other nay-Sayers? to see how right you are? to show the minions of moped groupies how savvy and battle-hardened you are? or are you just projecting frustrations with your own life?

Second: i wanted technical responses, not a criticism for the purpose of my thread or philosophical opinions from fat trolls who only know how to copy and paste. i was not seeking fatherly advice. i do not have a stock harness or the desire to find one. this will not be a street legal vehicle, so signals or the like were not of importance. i love constructive responses and when ken finally gave me one i was appreciative and he actually helped out quite a bit in the end by explaining his position.

you own 11 mopeds, you have posted over 7,000 times and yet you couldn't even give me practical advice, or explain your position. how long did it take to copy and paste all that instead of just helping an aspiring builder? you are a 51 year-old-man-child who obviously has too much time on his hands... ill keep what little wisdom i have up my ass instead of spraying it all over the internet and publicly revealing what a petty-minded-bully i am. hope you feel accomplished... you could have been cool and helped out, but you chose the path of so many bitter internet dweebs. congrats!

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

oh, just hardwire your POS, add more wires with a regulator, and blow bulbs all day. You'll be back, whining/crying for more advise. I don't believe in helping people to hack up their wiring.

On this site, when you tell everyone to "Next time keep your wisdom up your ass where it belongs...", you're just begging to get flamed.

(note, no copy and paste, as your words are now correctly spelled)

I have explained my position too many times (Ken and Leo, and others too), but we've seen people hardwire/hack their wires anyway. If you had done a search, you would have already known my position. With 6 posts total, I doubt you even know where the search feature is, much less ever having used it. You just want your hand held the whole way. Just remember, if you ever decide to sell the bike, there are lots of people who won't touch/buy a hardwired bike.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

LOL saucy newb vs veteran pissed off guy.

† CH∆D † /

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

http://www.mopedarmy.com/mediawiki/images/b/bb/Stock_puch_wiring_diagram.jpg

In Harvey's defense, I fail to see what's so complicated about this diagram. About the only thing to eliminate from this would be the headlight switch, because in most places, a constatnt headlight is a requirement on a moped or motorcycle. Headlight, taillight, and brake light on a stock puch each come from its own individual coil. Don't want a headlight? Cap the yellow. Don't want a taillight? Cap the grey. If you had pulled your magneto, you would have seen this, unless your bike has had the 12 volt treats coil installed at some point. Then it's even simpler.

Jimbo Daddy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yellow and grey come from different coils under

> the mag. Could cause problems. A regulator isn't a

> bad idea

in my notes, the yellow and grey coils are both on the bottom of the stator

but i diagrammed them grounding at opposite ends.

my best guess, 2 coils @ 180° = nothing

phase, polarity, greek to me

77 puch 5 wire.

maybe someone can translate for the op.

i'll get my 9 yr old son to redraw #10 in the stock_puch_wiring_diagram.

blue >might< come off the bottom coils, but i didn't have any blue crayons.

Nah, just a wanker troll

Stop being a wanker. The OP is asking honest questions. Were you born with a maxi stuck up your ass, and knew everything about everything? NO...

Go troll facebook if you're having a bad day, this place is for newbies and veterans and we all learn something new about our peds each and every day.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account