Brakes act as a kill switch.

Like “Funkenet” Hosfield /

My Motron runs fine unless you hit the brakes. Just pushing the lever down a bit you can hear it stop firing altogether. This happens on both on the front and back brake. So would it be fair to assume that the brake light wires and the kill switch wire are crossed some where?

It idles fine so I'm sure its not the carb and is electrical. I haven't touched anything to do with the wiring yet aside from replacing the condenser and by the way its wired its fair to assume that the wiring has not been altered since it left the factory so many years ago.

Has anyone had this issue? Is there a simple thing I can check with out tearing down all the wiring?

Tearing the wiring out would be a shame and a challenge because its so nicely done, very stealthily routed wiring on this bike.

Re: Brakes act as a kill switch.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Fix your brake light.

So you think its just a blown bulb?

A blown bulb is a possibility, or it could be a grounding issue.

The bulb is fine. So what now? Follow the brake light wires an look to see if there grounding some where?

Andrew Squiggman /

better just throw the bike away now.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

The brake light is part of the ignition ground. If your brake levers kill the bike, check the blue wires.

Easier said than done the wires run thru the frame.

Gettin pretty stumped I followed the blue wire and it looks like there is no breaks in it. I think something must have gotten screwed up with the wiring under the flywheel when I changed the condenser. Waiting on a FW puller to see.

Is there anyway to bypass the brake lights for now?

Darrell Gabbard /

stick a 1156 in the brake socket and pull the levers and see what happens

Darrell Gabbard /

you might also have to take the tail light assemby off and inspect the ceramic resistor that sits behind in there and make sure all the solder points are ok.

SkUG SkUGosarus /

got a multimeter?

So if I connect the two wires that go to the switch, it will run and the brakes don't kill the engine. Does that mean a switch is bad or the brake switches are wired wrong? Does it mean anything?

Obviously now I am out a brake light.

Got it. Wire in the taillight terminal fell off.

Is this on a sparta - Foxi?

no a Motron.

well its still doing it. damn.

since re-wiring the brake light would be a pain I am going to try this:

Wiring Modification

Due to a mysterious problem with my tail light on my 78 Baretta 38 I came up with a work around. This wiring mod enables your brake light to function independent from your kill switch. So here it is.

1. Disconnect the blue wire from the magneto.

2.Ground the blue wire coming out of the magneto to the chassis of the bike. I like to ground this wire on one of the screws holding the coil on to ensure a good ground.

3.On the left hand brake disconnect the wires from the brake light switch.

Solder, crimp, or do whatever you need to connect these wires to each other.

4.You're going to need to get a new switch for the right side brake lever. The switch you already have is a normally open switch that functions the opposite when installed due to the brake lever. What you need to get is a switch that is a normally closed.

5. Run a wire from the black wire on the magneto up to the right hand brake light switch. At this point if you don't have the new switch it will not function correctly.

6. Now connect the black wire to one side of the brake light switch and the blue wire that was already there to the other.

7. Go ahead and cut the gray wire off that is coming out of the kill switch. If you want to go the extra mile you can due the next part but it isn't necessary.

8. Take the yellow wire coming out of the headlight switch and cut it leaving enough excess to run it to the left hand brake light switch.

Connect the other end of the wire just cut to the other side of the switch.

What you are basically doing is intercepting the tail light 6V. What this does for you is when both brake handles are pulled. The tail light will shut off and the brake light will turn on. The reason for opening up the tail light circuit for braking is it puts less current strain on the small wires on the moped.

--Opelwagengt

From the wiki.

Hopefully I can find the right switch at radioshack

if you need the FW puller again, just let me know.

I ordered one. Its kinda something you should have.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Treats has the brake light switches. The similar ones at radio shack are not metric.

I knew treats had them but I don't want to wait. Maybe I can MacGuyver the radioshack switch on there.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

They're like 1/4-20 thread or something like that. Possibly tap the threads and ruin it for ever getting regular switches ever again.

tape, bubblegum and several tooth picks. I have extra brake levers so if I ruin one no biggy.

So I tried this didn't work at all. The tail light still works but I got no brake light.

Does anyone know if the above wiki article is full of shit or am I doing it wrong? It says to remove the gray wire coming from the kill switch. Why? When I do that I don't have a working kill switch.

Anyone know who Opelwagengt is? Is he a troll?

This is what I did if it helps anyone understand.

that is all funked up. take out all those "mods" , put it back to stock, take a multimeter and test the whole brake circuit. check the continuity of the switches you may find that the stock switches are normally closed and when opened by a brake lever, they force the ignition ground through the brake light.

These "mods" make the moped run with out having to worry about the brake wires grounding and losing your ignition or blowing a bulb and losing your ignitoin. I don't understand why they would wire the brake lights into the ignition in the first place. It is a stupid design.

If you looked at how the wiring is setup I would have to literally tear out all of the wires and rewire it from scratch because all the wiring is feed though a series of black tubing. I am not doing that.

Just because its not stock doesn't mean its all "fucked up". If something is wrong, POINT IT OUT! Don't just say. "Oh that's, fucked up"

I know you are just trying to help but please be more specific or keep your criticism to yourself.

you're right ,I am trying to help, typical moped wiring uses the ignition ground to run the brake light so if your bulb blows the engine stops, keeping you from riding around with no brake lights. bad connections at switches, faulty switches, bad bulb socket, can all be the causes. thats why you need to test with a meter to trace down the fault. And that way you don't have to necessarily have to tear apart the harness. I apollogize(sp) if I offended you, I was just trying to make a play on words (funked ).

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account