maxi clutch help

i have been having my clutch slip on my maxi and i have been trying to adjust the half cylinder peice inside the clutch cover to make it grab more frequently does anyone know or could show me a pic of how that is supposed to sit inside there for a successful grab.

any help would be awesome running out of time!!

thanks

Tyler

Re: maxi clutch help

Tyler Bauer /

the side of the half cylinder inside the clutch plate that grabs the clutch is kinda rounded off instead of being a flat edge does that have something to do with the slipping. if i adjust it too far it grabs with out me even having to pull the clutch lever which cant be good either.

im lost for ideas

maybe its just bad?

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

You're doing it wrong. That half cylinder engages the starter clutch and has nothing to do with the actually clutch. You'll need a clutch puller, if you don't have one.

Do a search silly, there is a good clutch tuning write up in the wiki.

Tyler Bauer /

i know but its slipping and it is causing my engine to not roll over and it is not engaging

Oh your wording is misleading. Clutch slip usually refers to the clutch shoes grabbing later causing the engine to rev out before it engages. Are you sure you cable is tight enough?

Tyler Bauer /

another question can i smooth out that half cylinder so it is a strait edge instead of rounded or with that mess it up even more?

Tyler Bauer /

i have tried moving the arm by my self and it still slips so im not sure if its the cable

I wouldn't. Its probably something simple. Ruining you clutch engager lever won't help you.

Can you get it to turn over if you pry the lever to the fully engaged position with a screw driver?

Tyler Bauer /

no but i adjusted it to where it will engage with out me pulling the lever it all it just does it

Maybe the starter clutch pads have worn out. Did your moped come with a kill switch or do you have to pull the clutch to kill it?

Tyler Bauer /

i dont have a kill switch to kill it but i replaced the clutch with a three shoe so i dont know if the pads are bad

Hmm, you just stumped one chump, Funkenet Out!

Tyler Bauer /

ok fixed the clutch problem just had to adjust the inerds of the cover.

now it wont start at all.....

guessing its the timing but dont know where to have the stater for a good start because i cant time it if its not running right?

70cc kstar

19 mm phbg race carb running with out air filter currently

treats cdi adventure pack

3 shoe clutch

boss pipe wich is currently off so it will have an easier start

the most ive gotten is a couple pops like it wants to start but wont

I've found that your timing can be pretty much anywhere on the stator and it will run. Check your point gap.

I still dont get what your clutch problem actually was.

I have a feeling that the bottom of the clutch arm was not indexed properly inside the clutch cover so it would never engage. When you adjusted it the starter clutch probably would never disengage. I have a feeling that now it has been adjusted so the starter clutch is not engaging again. I have seen pictures in two different posts showing the proper indexing of the arm inside of the clutch cover. I couldnt find them with a quick search though.

I have a lot of feelings.

I guess the only other half circle like object in the clutch would be the woodruff key. If that was not in properly you would also have problems. Was your problem piece attached to the cover or was it a small piece of slippery moonshaped metal? (edited)

He said he's got a 3 shoe. Those don't use woodruff keys.

I missed that, good point. Tyler: find the service manuals and learn the terms so we can better understand the problem. Also fred's guide (in the wiki) will help you understand the basic region of where things are going wrong and how to fix it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account